challenging experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I didn't volunteer this info on the interview trail so I am interested in peoples' responses now. I interviewed at 14 programs in 5 weeks across the country with a 6 week old baby plus husband in tow. The baby was 11 weeks old by the end. Add to that 4 second looks in the following two weeks.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

anonymous23 said:
Hi everyone,

I didn't volunteer this info on the interview trail so I am interested in peoples' responses now. I interviewed at 14 programs in 5 weeks across the country with a 6 week old baby plus husband in tow. The baby was 11 weeks old by the end. Add to that 4 second looks in the following two weeks.

Good luck to all.

Wow! You're a machine! How did you rank your list with your husbands opinions and your babys needs in mind? Last night while everyone was posting their list I was wondering if I had been wimpy for ranking the family friendly program #1 instead of a famous program. Fortunately this morning, while brushing my daughters hair before school, I remembered why I made the decision I did. Good luck with the munchkin and any others that will follow. You go girl.

P.S. Don't be shy, post your list!

Wow children :wow:! How do you gals juggle it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrbojangles said:

It's really not that bad. I didn't do as well in med school as I could have as a childless person, but I don't think it will make any difference in the end. And I'm glad I have a kid now rather than trying to pop out babies when I actually have a job. I had a much harder time juggling everything before med school, when I had to work, study for the MCAT, and raise a toddler. Now THAT was challenging.

I am definitely in awe of women (and men) who can juggle the demands of medical training and a family. I hope you've managed to find some time to take care of your personal needs, too! Good luck in the match.

jeff2005 said:
Wow! You're a machine! How did you rank your list with your husbands opinions and your babys needs in mind? Last night while everyone was posting their list I was wondering if I had been wimpy for ranking the family friendly program #1 instead of a famous program. Fortunately this morning, while brushing my daughters hair before school, I remembered why I made the decision I did. Good luck with the munchkin and any others that will follow. You go girl.

P.S. Don't be shy, post your list!

Thanks! Yes, balancing my opinions and needs with my husband's was challenging....
I thought the thread "must..kill ...husband" was hilarious BTW :)

Mrbojangles said:
The key is having a supportive spouse...and being able to survive without much sleep :)

anonymous23 said:
The key is having a supportive spouse...and being able to survive without much sleep :)

Fortunately I only need ~9 1/2 hr/night.

Yeah, its hard as a dad, too. I miss out on a lot of study time every night with the family. Its really frustrating that all of the other kids can study all of the time. On the other hand at least I have something awesome to turn to when I'm sick of studying.

Now I just hope that path isn't getting so competetive that this dad won't be able to get in. :)