7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Here is my stats:
GAP 3.90 overall 3.91 Sci.
DAT: AA 25 TS 28 PAT 19
Research 1 paper published, about 100 hours of shadowing

I called Baylor yesterday and they told me only 8 out states spots are offered this year, and they are mainly considering students from Louisiana, New Mexico and Arkansas because they are the neighbor states and they have no dental schools. I am an Ohio resident, any chance?

tsitneD

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
TX
Status
Pre-Dental
You are a strong applicant based on your GPA and DAT but I have heard of out stater with slim chances in Texas schools. You are a good competition in out state quota though.
Good Luck!

N

NAVY DDS 2010

The first time I applied to dental school back in 1995, the out of state standards were pretty much the same for the Texas schools. I applied to San Antonio only because I had a friend who was in school there. I had a 3.85 gpa with 3.95 science gpa and 21 aa and pat. I had no problem getting in. Your scores are better than mine. I think you will be competative as long as your application in general is good.

prk15

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
NYC
Status
Dentist
I only have a 21 AA 22 TS with a 3.56 GPA but I'm still applying as an out-of-state applicant. Wishing for the best.

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Texas
Status
Dental Student
Your grades and scores seem pretty good. Baylor is a tough school to get into. We do have a couple of students from each of those states you mentioned. No one from Ohio though. You never know. Good luck!

OP
T

tcc6115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
Your grades and scores seem pretty good. Baylor is a tough school to get into. We do have a couple of students from each of those states you mentioned. No one from Ohio though. You never know. Good luck!
Only "pretty good" 25AA on DAT is 99.9 percentile. I guess if I am from Ohio, I have to get 30AA to get in to Baylor. LOL:D

zoralsurgeon

noegruslaroz
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Only "pretty good" 25AA on DAT is 99.9 percentile. I guess if I am from Ohio, I have to get 30AA to get in to Baylor. LOL:D
Dude; if Baylor doesn’t take you; it’s totally their loss…you’re going to be a dentist regardless…lol

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Here is my stats:
GAP 3.90 overall 3.91 Sci.
DAT: AA 25 TS 28 PAT 19
Research 1 paper published, about 100 hours of shadowing
I called Baylor yesterday and they told me only 8 out states spots are offered this year, and they are mainly considering students from Louisiana, New Mexico and Arkansas because they are the neighbor states and they have no dental schools. I am an Ohio resident, any chance?
It seems that Baylor pretty much answered your question, but you must think sdn members are more insightful.

OP
T

tcc6115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
It seems that Baylor pretty much answered your question, but you must think sdn members are more insightful.
Well, my question now is that if TX school do not want anybody from Ohio, why do they just tell us ahead of time? It took me forever to finish their secondary!!!

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Well, my question now is that if TX school do not want anybody from Ohio, why do they just tell us ahead of time? It took me forever to finish their secondary!!!
Because the Dean's son may be from Ohio or something...

JK, but the bottom line is that if someone from Ohio does get in, I would expect it to be you. You've got awesome stats. You'll get into a great school somewhere so I wouldn't be too bitter about not getting into Baylor if that ends up happening.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
You are confusing preference with exclusion. You want to take Baylor out for a ride but it is too much trouble to complete their secondary app. Incidentally, Louisiana does have a dental school.

OP
T

tcc6115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status
You are confusing preference with exclusion. You want to take Baylor out for a ride but it is too much trouble to complete their secondary app. Incidentally, Louisiana does have a dental school.
One of my friend who is at Baylor dental school who told me that nobody from Ohio was admitted by Baylor in last 5 years, will you consider that exclusion or preference? I do not think I am the one who is confused here.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
One of my friend who is at Baylor dental school who told me that nobody from Ohio was admitted by Baylor in last 5 years, will you consider that exclusion or preference? I do not think I am the one who is confused here.
Since when were Ohio residents subsidizing Baylor College of Dentistry? Cmon, students from 50 states are competing for 8 spots, they can't accept someone from every state every year.

You're acting kind of bitter about this and you haven't even been rejected. No one's saying you're not going to get in, just don't hold your breath for Baylor. You'll get in somewhere which is something alot of students would kill for...

Danny289

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Since when were Ohio residents subsidizing Baylor College of Dentistry? Cmon, students from 50 states are competing for 8 spots, they can't accept someone from every state every year.

You're acting kind of bitter about this and you haven't even been rejected. No one's saying you're not going to get in, just don't hold your breath for Baylor. You'll get in somewhere which is something alot of students would kill for...
The end of story :thumbup:

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
If your friend can show that no one from Ohio has been accepted at Baylor for the past 104 years you might have something unless, of course, there is something magic about 5.

OP
T

tcc6115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status

Well, hope I will be THE one then lol :D

Jul 31, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Here is my stats:
I called Baylor yesterday and they told me only 8 out states spots are offered this year, and they are mainly considering students from Louisiana, New Mexico and Arkansas because they are the neighbor states and they have no dental schools.
Only 8?! :eek:
so if i am TS19, PAT20, GPA3.2 and California resident should I even bother to apply?

icedspice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Dental Student
For the year of 2008,
1. your chances of getting an interview are: 19/579= 3%
2. Your chances of getting IN: 9/579 = 1.5%

Nine people that got accepted are from: Louisiana, New Mexico, Arkansas, Colorado, Michigan (hey Ohio, you might have a chance =) ), North Carolina and Oklahoma

So, you be the judge =D

denner

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
For the year of 2008,
1. your chances of getting an interview are: 19/579= 3%
2. Your chances of getting IN: 9/579 = 1.5%

Nine people that got accepted are from: Louisiana, New Mexico, Arkansas, Colorado, Michigan (hey Ohio, you might have a chance =) ), North Carolina and Oklahoma

So, you be the judge =D
well, those %s are >0
so they sound good enough for me :D

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I wonder how much/if any politics or nepotism play into those OOS acceptances...

Hopefully NONE.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
well, those %s are >0
so they sound good enough for me :D
BTW, I've meant to ask you denner, how come you didn't apply to Houston?