1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

chance at ca school

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dovebar, Jun 5, 2008.

1. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    hi guys i really want to go to pharm school in ca...my family will be there and if i don't get in i don't think i want to go elsewhere. i know it's very competitive too.
    here's my info. tell me what my chances are i went to undergrad in nevada.

b.s. biochemistry
    cum gpa
    physics 1 & 2 a
    chemistry 1 & 2 a
    oganic 1 & 2 b
    organic lab a
    bio 1 & 2 a & b
    micro a-
    research experience.
    hospital experience
    only 3 months volunteering in pharmacy experience:( this is the part that's really bad in my app.

thanks, i'll appreciate any feedback esp from those with experience from ca schools. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CCdarling

CCdarling c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think your GPA is about average. The part that seems lacking from the information you have, is your pharmacy experience and your ECs. But nonetheless, I still think you have a good chance of interviewing with CA schools. Be sure to sell yourself and write a great personal statement. Oh and apply early!

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Got into USC with a 3.49 cum/3.59 sci, nearly identical grades. Same degree from CSUSB

5. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If I'm not mistaken, I think it is hard for out of state to get into UCSF and UCSD. But, the private schools shouldn't favor one over the other.

6. AggiePharmer

AggiePharmer Pharmatoxicogenomicist
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If their parent's are already in CA though, that should give them an in-state advantage.

To the op: I don't necessarily know your specific situation, but your GPA and EC's are above average. There's no way to know for sure if it'll get you an interview or not, but I'd say you have a shot. Be sure not to generalize your EC's on the PharmCAS apps. Be sure to specify and differentiate your leadership and research experience opportunities, too. Good luck!

#5 AggiePharmer, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  7. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks everyone for all the replies...I just found out today that CA northgate( the only pharmacy school I applied to) is reviewing my application even though it's incomplete. I know that doesn't make sense...but there might be hope for me to start this fall. yay! But, if I don't I will definetly take all your sugggestions and put in a strong application for 2009. Good luck to everyone in the same boat!:)

8. pharmd4me@510

[email protected] druggist_2_be
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Why did you only apply to NOrthgate? With your GPA, I would apply to all CA schools. My GPA was similar to yours (with a BS in molecular bio) and I got interviews to USC, UCSF and Touro (didnt apply to Loma Linda or Western). If I were you, I would apply to all Ca schools to increase your chances of getting an interview.

9. jessica525

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I got into UCSF, UCSD, and USC without any pharmacy experience, so don't worry about that.

#8 jessica525, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  10. lychee719

lychee719 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What is this CA Northgate school? I keep seeing it on these forums and I have never heard of it and I can't find it by searching online...

11. UES Girl

Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist

It is this new school near Sacramento that supposedly just opened up, however, I don't think it is accredited yet.

12. ScienceNerd

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i got waitlisted at UCSF (I knew their interview didn't go as well as the others I had gone to)...i had a 3.3 gpa with bs bio. I don't know how high I was on the list, since I declined. (lol, $10K vs $40K per year, you do the math) I'm from out of state, when I interviewed I was the only out of stater in my group. It just depends on your individual app. Just apply, the worst they can do is say no.

13. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    hi guys,
    thanks for all the replies. i didn't get into northgate this year because i applied very late & i had a mess up with the interview. anyway...i''m filling out pharmas for 2009. i'm going apply to uop, touro, western, for sure. and one uc school just to see. usn is also and option cuz vegas is home. :laugh:

14. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah, I found out about it after I got the grades for the PCAT. They said due to my exceptional PCAT score, blah, blah, blah, that they want me to apply to it, then I found out thousands of people got the same letter, lol.

15. CCdarling

CCdarling c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It's CA NorthSTATE, not northgate. We just got pre-cand status today from ACPE. Also, I believe they'll be with pharmcas in July. GL everyone :)

16. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    wow, that's great! i'm so happy for everyone that's starting this fall! good luck to you guys. i'll apply to northstate too in the fall! :)

17. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

I think you have a chance to go to one of the many fully accredited schools out there, so apply early this time around.

I'd definitely apply to USN also:thumbup:

18. babygirl7eleven

babygirl7eleven New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    hey does anybody know when u can apply to northstate?
    their requirements are minimal it seems...do they take pcat or lor's anyone know :confused:

19. CCdarling

CCdarling c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes you need 3 LORs and I believe they'll be with pharmcas in July sometime. PCATs are not required but recommended.