Chance at CALI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeitsme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make it concise:

I'm a cali. resident/ will finish undergrad. at a UC this june-
Overall gpa: 3.35
Science gpa: 3.30
(Did poorly my freshman year; high upward trend--> Overall gpa is 3.56 not including 1st year)- does anybody know how dental schools take into account an upward trend (last two quarters getting 3.7 and 3.95 with 5 classes)

DAT (AA/ TS/ PAT):
(21/ 21/ 20) - no scores lower than 19 on all sections

when I apply on June 4th (or within the 1st week)
+30 hrs. of shadowing
+200 hrs. volunteer dental assisting
other extracurricular activities/ outreach programs- serving homeless/ educational outreach programs in my community, etc.

(hopefully by the end of summer/ start of interviews- i'll have a total of +50 hrs. of shadowing & +300-400 hrs. of volunteer dental assisting)

Do I have a chance at UCSF-my top school? Or UOP/western/ Usc/ loma linda? should i even apply to UCLA?

any input will be appreciated :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Have a decent chance to get some interviews but i think if you do have an interview, you better rock it cause your GPA is not really competitive. As far as the upward trend, dental schools do take it into consideration but not that much really. It's something nice to see but it does NOT have a critical influence. If they have to choose between someone who has an average but stable GPA throughout their undergrad with someone who has an upward trend (assuming they both have the same DAT and GPA)....bad day for you, the one with the stable would be selected anyday

Members don't see this ad :)
in order of question:

no. not likely/idk/yeah/idk. no.

Have a decent chance to get some interviews but i think if you do have an interview, you better rock it cause your GPA is not really competitive. As far as the upward trend, dental schools do take it into consideration but not that much really. It's something nice to see but it does NOT have a critical influence. If they have to choose between someone who has an average but stable GPA throughout their undergrad with someone who has an upward trend (assuming they both have the same DAT and GPA)....bad day for you, the one with the stable would be selected anyday

got it.. thanks so much for your input... note to self * must rock the interviews!

and applying early (1st week) would give me a much higher chance of getting interviews?

i know you ignored my comment because it's not really favorable, but your GPA is way below average for california state schools and you have nothing spectacular in your resume according to what you posted. DAT is less than average for ucla and average for ucsf.

applying first week will not help at the state schools. maybe the private ones

My GPA was a 3.44, sGPA was a 3.28 and I'm going to UCLA in the fall.

However my DAT was 24AA/23TS/24PA (nothing below 21) and that might have been a factor...

I have sorta-similar stats to you - 3.4 oGPA, 3.24 science, 3.14 bcp, along with a 22AA/23TS - and I got accepted to UoP, waitlisted at UCSF, and interviews (but turned them down) to USC and Western. How deep is your community service background? Good luck!

in order of question:

no. not likely/idk/yeah/idk. no.

i know you ignored my comment because it's not really favorable

maybe it's not what you said, but how you said it.

though i do agree with your response in general. I think he might have a shot at UCSF.

I think you definitely have a shot. In California, I think graduating from a UC gives you some forgiveness in terms of your GPA. When I went to interview at UCLA ALL the other people in my interview group were from a UC. I had a 3.4ish GPA, 21AA/22TS/21PAT, community service, and dental assisting experience, and I got into UCLA, UCSF, and Western. On the other hand, I interviewed at USC with acceptance and did not get an interview invite at UOP. Just goes to show you that you never know what each school is looking for specifically, the only way to find out is to apply :). Good luck

i know you ignored my comment because it's not really favorable, but your GPA is way below average for california state schools and you have nothing spectacular in your resume according to what you posted. DAT is less than average for ucla and average for ucsf.

applying first week will not help at the state schools. maybe the private ones

hahaha, i didn't meant o ignore your first comment- i just didn't know what to write in response. but, i was wondering why you thought that applying the 1st week would help for private ones but not states schools? aren't all of the dental schools rolling admissions?

I have sorta-similar stats to you - 3.4 oGPA, 3.24 science, 3.14 bcp, along with a 22AA/23TS - and I got accepted to UoP, waitlisted at UCSF, and interviews (but turned them down) to USC and Western. How deep is your community service background? Good luck!

your DAT scores are a lot higher than mine!! but i have a LOT of hands-on community service hours. Do you think that could set me apart? where are you going to attend next year??