chance at neurosurgery

Started by riguy16
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

riguy16

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Currently a third year medical student looking for advice on a chance at neurosurgery. Would appreciate any advice
Step 1: 252
Step 2: not yet taken
clinical rotation: four H so far including surgery and internal medicine. Currently on my final two rotations
AOA: not known, assume no
research: one published review of literature in non related field, not first author
medical school: average

I have a possible opportunity to spend a year off doing research with a neurosurgeon. Assuming a moderately productive year of say two to three publications, would I stand a chance at neurosurgery? Or would I realistically not be competitive even with the year off?