Chance for good community programs for US MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentxx8800

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure why you think you aren't a great applicant. Sounds like you are doing fine. I'd say your chances for a "decent" community program are just fine. Generally programs are just looking to see you passed all exams, nothing crazy going on, and have good letters and clinical evals. If that is the case, it's going to come down to fit and interview.

Are there FM residencies out there that stratify applicants according to grades in 3rd year? Probably some but when I was in residency on the admissions committee, that didn't come up very often. What we talked most about was the interview.

If you are passionate and have good evals, and good letters, and good personal statement, you are going to get interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure why you think you aren't a great applicant. Sounds like you are doing fine. I'd say your chances for a "decent" community program are just fine. Generally programs are just looking to see you passed all exams, nothing crazy going on, and have good letters and clinical evals. If that is the case, it's going to come down to fit and interview.

Are there FM residencies out there that stratify applicants according to grades in 3rd year? Probably some but when I was in residency on the admissions committee, that didn't come up very often. What we talked most about was the interview.

If you are passionate and have good evals, and good letters, and good personal statement, you are going to get interviews.
Thank you! That’s good to know. I just see so many people with high Step scores saying that they are scared about not matching that make me feel really nervous but perhaps FM is not as focused on grades as other specialty. I also have the remediation in the first year which also not going to help my app so just figure I would be lucky to match somewhere. Thank you for your kind words

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry you'll be fine.
Do you really want to go to a program that disqualifies people for doing one remediation in med school?
No, you want to go to a program that looks at the whole person, and the whole application. Let the people with spotless records go to those programs. They aren't any better than any other program, they just think they are. Every resident no matter where they go has to meet the same graduation criteria right down to the number of clinic visits done in 3 years. It really doesn't matter much where you go.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! That’s good to know. I just see so many people with high Step scores saying that they are scared about not matching that make me feel really nervous but perhaps FM is not as focused on grades as other specialty. I also have the remediation in the first year which also not going to help my app so just figure I would be lucky to match somewhere. Thank you for your kind words
My friend repeated both step 1/2 and still matched FM.

Reactions: 1 user