Chance for PMR Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

War of Arts

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am seriously considering PMR and want to know my chance of getting matched. I had chats with a few classmates, and we discovered that the match rate was down to only 60ish% for PMR this past cycle. It seems like tons of my schoolmates are interested in PMR now. I feel it is becoming an uber specialty to get matched into.

My current stand is:

- Academic: Third year in one of the old-five DO schools, bottom 25% quartile, failed one pre-clinical course but remediated, passed both level 1 and step 1 (first-attempt), no third-year rotation in PMR available in my school, so no real clinical exposure, will not honor any core clinical rotations due to the honor is solely based on achieving a 90 percentile or above for each shelf exam, expect to get no higher than but may be close to the average for level 2 and step 2 based on my performance on UWORLD and level 1 and step 1 performance
- Research: 15 peer-reviewed pubs so far, half of them are the first author, a few in sports science (not really sports medicine but general sports and health science), one coauthor may be related to PMR about using exoskeleton and virtual reality in doing functional assessments in post-stroke people with hemiplegia and healthy people (not a clinical study but a cross-sectional study), the rest is not related, 10 conference poster/podium presentations, lead researcher on two grants before
- Extracurricular activity: Co-founded a school's club and a local chapter of a national medical student society, like sports, video games, doing Olympic weightlifting, may compete at some points in a local meet, used to play piano and guitar, award-wining pianist before college (does this even matter?)
- Others: URM, non-traditional med student, first-gen immigrant and college graduate, quite some job experiences before med school like a truck driver, forklift driver, personal trainer, warehouse associate, etc.
Why I want PMR: Like sports and exercise, undergrad major in exercise science and a grad degree in exercise physiology, had exposure to PT, have chronic upper back issues, and I have to see PTs and physiatrists routinely if I have time, nice lifestyle from what I heard

I will probably be able to schedule three sub-I starting in the fourth year. Otherwise, I am not sure how I can make myself more competitive. I am thinking of taking a research year, but all I can find is Orthopedic related fellowship. Any help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Biggest thing, is getting a few PMR rotations. I would say itd be close to zero without doing a PMR rotation, one inpatient plus outpatient would be best so you can talk about the diversity and have a better scope of the field during interviews. I see you have 3 sub-I's so that's good.

From an academic stand point you're not standing out from the crowd, your research is a plus. So everything comes down to doing well on auditions, applying broadly, and interviewing well. Otherwise try to perform better on Step 2. There's not much mystery or science behind matching, its pretty bland and boring.

1. Doing well academically- boards, grades, research etc (probably in that order)
2. Do well on auditions
3. Apply broadly
4. Write a great personal statement (if anything for yourself as a foundation for... doing well on interviews)
5. Do well on interviews
6. Match

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user