Chance Me and Kill My Dreams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asci

Reaction score
Hey there SDN, long time lurker, finally summed up the courage to post. I'm a non-traditional student. I went to art school right after high school and hated it. I worked in the service industry for a number of years before deciding to return to school. physician.

cGPA - 3.60
sGPA - 3.81
(previous 60 credit hours are 3.9 GPA, damn B+ in orgo)
MCAT - 521 (129/131/130/131)

State of Residence - Ohio
Ethnicity - White
Undergraduate College - Loyola University Chicago

Volunteering -
Clinical -
200 hours pulmonary clinic, helped out during respiratory therapy, took patient vitals etc
60 hours ED, much less hands on, most time spent observing physicians
Nonclinical - 150 hours hospital volunteer, greeting patients, transporting to different wings of the hospital, running medical records

Teaching -
500+ hours tutor for a private company

Extracurriculars - Sound engineer in my past life. Continue to work on small film and music projects with friends and acquaintances.

Research -
100 hours in a psychology lab, no publication. PI is supervising my honors thesis to be completed my senior year, so the hours here should double or triple.

Employment History -
Worked in coffee shops for five years when I was between school.

No family in medicine, no graduate degrees.
Interested in psychiatry, neurology, gastroenterology

Current School List
My partner and I have locations in mind of where it would make sense for us to be for the next four years (she is a clinical psychologist and needs to be able to find a job). I have only been going off of the MSAR to generate a list based on my MCAT since my GPA history is wonky. Tell me how delusional I am.

REACH -
UPenn
University of Chicago
Northwestern
UCLA
OSU

Reasonable -
Case Western Reserve University
UC San Diego
Loma Linda
USC
SUNY
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
UIC
Loyola

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey there SDN, long time lurker, finally summed up the courage to post. I'm a non-traditional student. I went to art school right after high school and hated it. I worked in the service industry for a number of years before deciding to return to school. A couple conversations with a close family friend that recently finished his residency in anesthesiology combined with a love for helping, service, and science, have shifted my career goals toward becoming a physician.

cGPA - 3.60
sGPA - 3.81
(previous 60 credit hours are 3.975 GPA, damn B+ in orgo)

Ethnicity - White

Volunteering -
Clinical -
200 hours pulmonary clinic, helped out during respiratory therapy, took patient vitals etc
Nonclinical - 150 hours hospital volunteer, greeting patients, transporting to different wings of the hospital, running medical records

Teaching -
500+ hours tutor for a private company, got my start tutoring students at community college, branched out to private tutoring to make extra cash

Extracurriculars - Sound engineer in my past life. Continue to work on small film and music projects with friends and acquaintances.

Research -
100 hours in a psychology lab, no publication. PI is supervising my honors thesis to be completed my senior year, so the hours here should double or triple.

Employment History -

Current School List
My partner and I have locations in mind of where it would make sense for us to be for the next four years (she is a clinical psychologist and needs to be able to find a job). I have only been going off of the MSAR to generate a list based on my MCAT since my GPA history is wonky. Tell me how delusional I am.

REACH -
UPenn
University of Chicago
Northwestern
UCLA
OSU

Reasonable -
UC San Diego
Loma Linda
USC
SUNY
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
UIC
Loyola

Thanks for taking the time to look. Here's hoping I haven't embarrassed myself.

Are you applying this cycle? (Have you already submitted AMCAS)?
(and great job on the MCAT!)
Also, how many years have you been out of school (make sure that your pre-reqs are up to date as some schools do not accept them after X years)

I've submitted my AMCAS for this cycle, waiting on verification (gpa numbers are from my own calculations). I had left school for 5 years, but I have been back in school for 3 years and at my university for the past 2 to finish a bachelor's and fulfill all the pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there SDN, long time lurker, finally summed up the courage to post. I'm a non-traditional student. I went to art school right after high school and hated it. I worked in the service industry for a number of years before deciding to return to school. A couple conversations with a close family friend that recently finished his residency in anesthesiology combined with a love for helping, service, and science, have shifted my career goals toward becoming a physician.

cGPA - 3.60
sGPA - 3.81
(previous 60 credit hours are 3.975 GPA, damn B+ in orgo)

Ethnicity - White

Volunteering -
Clinical -

Teaching -
500+ hours tutor for a private company, got my start tutoring students at community college, branched out to private tutoring to make extra cash

Research -

Employment History -

Current School List

REACH -
UPenn
University of Chicago
Northwestern
UCLA
OSU

Reasonable -
UC San Diego
Loma Linda
USC
SUNY
Temple
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
UIC
Loyola

Thanks for taking the time to look. Here's hoping I haven't embarrassed myself.
What you call non-clinical is indeed clinical.
Do have any service to others in a nonclinical setting? Paid tutoring doesn't count.

What you call non-clinical is indeed clinical.
Do have any service to others in a nonclinical setting? Paid tutoring doesn't count.

I read somewhere once that for something to be clinical you need to actually touch the patients, I guess that was wrong.

Last edited:
I read somewhere once that for something to be clinical you need to actually touch the patients, I guess that was wrong. Does unpaid tutoring count? I got my start in tutoring because the night security guard at a job I worked was going to the same community college as me. He was trying to get his GED and was struggling with math and English (he was an immigrant from Afghanistan). I worked with him for a number of months before I started at the tutoring center at the community college.

Otherwise, I have volunteered at the chapel at my university, less than 20 hours, and for summer science camps at the university, less than 50 hours.
You read wrong...you merely have to be within smelling distance of patience, and interacting with them.

Yes, unpaid tutoring counts as nonclinical volunteering.

i suggest getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself. Your Ecs overall are a bit thin, except for the clinicals.
I suggest:
ALL OH schools
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Pitt
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
Tufts
U IA
U VM

Reactions: 1 user
You read wrong...you merely have to be within smelling distance of patience, and interacting with them.

Yes, unpaid tutoring counts as nonclinical volunteering.

i suggest getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself. Your Ecs overall are a bit thin, except for the clinicals.
I suggest:
ALL OH schools
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Pitt
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
Tufts
U IA
U VM
Thank you for this list, it is very encouraging. Considering I have already submitted my AMCAS, do you think my thin ECs will hurt my chances of getting an interview or will it just be something I will have to address during interviews?

Thank you for this list, it is very encouraging. Considering I have already submitted my AMCAS, do you think my thin ECs will hurt my chances of getting an interview or will it just be something I will have to address during interviews?
Stats get you to the door; ECs get you through it.