Chance me for BS/MD and BS/DO programs?

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong board. If it is, please move it to the "What are my chances?" forum.

This is just a hypothetical situation. The grade, the credentials, everything else is all real. Lets just pretend that this was the end of my junior year. Where do I stand?

Grades:

Chemistry Honors (Not AP or IB) - 91
Anatomy and Physiology - 95
IB Physics SL - 95
Health (required) - 99
IB English HL I - 90
IB History of the Americas HL I - 89
IB Psychology SL - 90
IB Math HL I - 93
Gym - 95

My total average is a 93, equivalent to a 3.72 GPA.

I only have my PSAT scores from my Sophomore year, and only practice ACT scores to go by. My highest practice ACT was a 29, and my PSAT was a 210.

-PSAT 210
-ACT 29

Extra Circulars:
-Hospital Volunteering 250+ hours (did it since the 9th grade)
-Physician Shadowing (Anesthesiologist) - 100+ hours (The doctor is awesome for letting me shadow him this long so far)
-Martial Arts for 7 years. Currently hold the Junior Black Belt Rank
-Piano for 14 years
-Played at the nursing home every month for 2 hours last year.
-Played at charity recitals that my school district has held for the past 10 years. So yes, even when I could only play "Yankee Doodle", I played in it.
-Piano Guild Participant for the last 5 years. Am currently on the 5 year national roll
-NYSSMA participant for the last 5 years. Every year had a grade of "Outstanding".
-By the time I am a senior, I will be preparing, selling tickets for, and performing in my own piano concert. It will be 4 hours long. >_>

School "Clubs":
-Student of the Month
-National Junior Honor Society (junior high)
-National Honor Society
-Track and Field (Junior High)
-Concert Chorale for the past 3 years
-Youth Group

"Will Be" Letters of Reccomendation:
-Chemistry Teacher
-Anatomy Teacher
-Guidance Counselor
-Martial Arts instructor
-Music Teacher
-Anesthesiologist I shadowed
-Hospital Volunteer Coordinator

These are all of the people who said they would write me one should I ever request it one day. I'm thinking about waiting until December to ask so they can have all the time they need *until June that is*.

BS/MD programs I want to apply to:
1) Union College with Albany Medical College (8 years)
2) George Washington University with George Washington School of Medicine (7-8 years?)
3) Howard University with Howard University College of Medicine (6 years) NOTE: Top BS/MD choice
4) Penn State University with Jefferson Medical College (6 years) NOTE: Second choice BS/MD
5) Northwestern University with the Feinburg School of Medicine (7 years)
6) Wilkes University and State University of New York Upstate Medical University (Unknown years. Can somebody fill me in on the years?)
7) University of Conneticut with the University of Conneticut School of Medicine (Couldn't find the # of years for this either.)
8) Siena College with Albany Medical College (8 years)
9) RPI with Albany Medical College (7 years)
10) Drexel University with Drexel University College of Medicine (7 years)
11) Brooklyn College with SUNY Downstate Medical Center (8 years)
12) The College of New Jersey with New Jersey Medical School (7 years)
13) University of Akron with NEOUCOM (6 years) NOTE: Third choice BS/MD
14) Indiana State University with Indiana University School of Medicine (I don't know the years for this either)

BS/DO programs I want to apply to:
1) Gannon University with PCOM (7 years) NOTE: Top BS/DO choice
2) NYiT with NYCOM (7 years)
3) SUNY New Paltz with NYCOM (7 years)

-Now, the amount of programs I am applying to may seem a bit on the heavy side...but I really want to be a doctor (particularly an Anesthesiologist or a Neurosurgeon), M.D. or D.O. regardless. Please chance me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions chino. All the more reason for why I'm going to apply to a lot of these programs in the first place. Howard, for instance, doesn't seem to have cutthroat competition, and the general requirements for it are lower than, oh say, Brown or UPenn.

As for D.O. programs, there's a reason why I'm only applying to three. PCOM and NYCOM are D.O. schools I would love to attend, PCOM especially. I've heard good things when it comes to PCOM and it's residency placements (Neurosurgery comes to mind). As for NYCOM, it's literally a ten minute drive from where I live. Plus, the Anesthesiologist I shadowed happens to be a D.O. who attended NYCOM. He is a great doctor too. Either way, I'm content with either an M.D. or a D.O. next to my name.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of this is guesswork:

If you keep getting A's that will help a lot.

Without actual SAT/ACT scores we can't really say. (even then we can only speculate) I would put some good time into preparing for the tests and make sure they get your best effort as they play a significant role in determining just how competitive you are for a program.

You're on the right track with your ECs, Shadowing and LORs. Those will help.

So like was it really necessary to post your Gym grade? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I actually just want to know now what my chances for Howard's BS/MD program are? It's my top choice (among all BS/MD and BS/DO programs I have in mind).

Johns Hopkins is a top med school with a very good/competitive BA/MD program. I think you would be considered very seriously, especially given the balance between your extracurriculars and your grades. It would depend a lot now on your responses to their essay questions and your interview if you're required to give one :) Good luck!

Johns Hopkins is a top med school with a very good/competitive BA/MD program. I think you would be considered very seriously, especially given the balance between your extracurriculars and your grades. It would depend a lot now on your responses to their essay questions and your interview if you're required to give one :) Good luck!

That program is offered to post-bacc students I believe.