Chance me for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sum2121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.3
csGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 510

Double Major in French and Spanish but took all the necessary pre-reqs and then some for pre-med.

1,000 hours direct patient contact working as a CNA
100 hours shadowing physicians (30 were DO)
80 hours volunteer (volunteering every single week at a food pantry)
2 years of research with one publication
Completed a semester long internship at a hospital in Spain which accumulated about 300 hours of shadowing
Strong letter of recommendation from science faculty/research adviser, a plastic surgeon, as well as a primary care DO

I know my GPA is a major weak point... I was a freshman that didn't know how to study and then had a steady upward trend.

I'm just looking for some advice on my competitiveness/potential schools/general advice

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have worse stats than you and I got a lot of DO love. I was scared going in and applied to a TON of schools tho. My thought process was that I go big the first time and there won’t be a second time (applying).

I have worse stats than you and I got a lot of DO love. I was scared going in and applied to a TON of schools tho. My thought process was that I go big the first time and there won’t be a second time (applying).

Hi there thanks for the response! Do you mind elaborating a little more? What do you think helped you overcome your low stats?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
MU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM ( all 3 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
MU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM ( all 3 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
Thank you this is extremely helpful!

Hi there thanks for the response! Do you mind elaborating a little more? What do you think helped you overcome your low stats?

I think my 3.4 505 wasn’t all that low for DO. It’s easy to say this now. However, looking back I think I overestimated the competitiveness of DO.

I would suggest that you be early in the app cycle. Prewrite secondaries and apply to all the schools that don’t have a secondary. Those seem to be first come first serve.

Lastly, email the schools to ensure everything is kosher. I did this at one school without that in mind and I got an interview days later. So I made the connection between showing interest in a school and getting interest from that school.

Best of luck!