Chance Me?? (Pleaase)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golonghorns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my spring semester of sophomore year. Ochem II is killing me. Anyway, I had a rough start freshman year, got a C in calculus.
I go to UT- so we do the plus/minus system. But apparently Texas medschools disregard it and recalculate your GPA.
Freshman year (fall)=2.76 (bummer, i know)
Freshman year (spring)= 3.52, but converting A- to A then 3.79
Sophomore year (fall)= 3.56 but converting A- to A then 3.6
and my predicted gpa for this semester is going to be 3.58

So overall my gpa is around a 3.4ish
I'm planning on taking the MCAT this summer.

I am president of an organization I started/founded at UT called Out Against Abuse. I have shadowed a doctor for over 75 hours and am going to go back there summer. I am currently researching in a lab. I have work experience--nothing science related. I need to volunteer more, but I'm planning on going to volunteer at a third world country in December.

I know it is hard to gauge, but what are my chances? I really want to go to UTSA!

Thank you so much in advance for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Considering that the average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience, you might want to get that started. The shadowing looks good though, and I like the leadership. Some hands-on, nonmedical community service to the poor would be viewed well, also (ideally, mostly for the folks near home or school).

What is your science GPA? As you know, your overall GPA is on the weak side, but with straight As for all of next year, you could get it up to a fairly competitive 3.6, and with two years a 3.7. If that seems unlikely, maybe plan for another year of GPA repair before applying. The typical acceptee to UTSA had a 3.7/32 for stats.

My science GPA is somewhere around a 3.3.

Thank you so much for your response! I am actually volunteering at a domestic violence safe house this summer. As you can tell, I love working with non-profits and raising awareness of domestic violence is an issue that is really important to me. I am also prepping for my MCATs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would strongly suggest going DO route unless you can blow away your MCAT or live in a state with a less selective allopathic institution (or you're Black or Central/South American).

On a side note, and please excuse me if I'm wrong, but saying you love working with non-profits leads me to believe that you have a misunderstanding of what the non-profit status means. I would suggest investigating this if you haven't already done so because I have seen it trip up many people in interviews.

Edit: I see you're from Texas. You have a lot to choose from there. Get that GPA up a bit and allo interviews, pending a 29+ MCAT, won't be too far off.

I would strongly suggest going DO route unless you can blow away your MCAT or live in a state with a less selective allopathic institution (or you're Black or Central/South American).

On a side note, and please excuse me if I'm wrong, but saying you love working with non-profits leads me to believe that you have a misunderstanding of what the non-profit status means. I would suggest investigating this if you haven't already done so because I have seen it trip up many people in interviews.

Edit: I see you're from Texas. You have a lot to choose from there. Get that GPA up a bit and allo interviews, pending a 29+ MCAT, won't be too far off.

I don't have a misunderstanding of what the non-profit status means. My sister started her own NPO and so i'm well versed in what they are.

So my ochem II exam was a total killer and even though I studied hours for it, I ended up getting a C in the class :(
2 questions:
1. should i retake it? I don't know if i have time
2. Now my gpa for the semester will fall to like a 3.2 making my overall GPA around a 3.3

Should I just wait to apply after my senior year instead of after my junior year in order to bring up my GPA? :confused: :scared:

Honestly, this whole thing is taking a toll on my med school dreams. I feel like i'm not cut out to be a doctor if i can't get decent grades despite studying my butt off. This is my second C... :(

So my ochem II exam was a total killer and even though I studied hours for it, I ended up getting a C in the class :(
2 questions:
1. should i retake it? I don't know if i have time
2. Now my gpa for the semester will fall to like a 3.2 making my overall GPA around a 3.3

Should I just wait to apply after my senior year instead of after my junior year in order to bring up my GPA? :confused: :scared:

Honestly, this whole thing is taking a toll on my med school dreams. I feel like i'm not cut out to be a doctor if i can't get decent grades despite studying my butt off. This is my second C... :(

you could retake it

hey guys,

update. got my mcat score today: 21 overall; i don't know what happened, i was averaging 33s to 34s.

should i just throw in the towel. i know its my dream, but there comes a time where you just have to face the facts and no when its not meant to be. thanks for ya'lls time.

If you were averaging that high I would say prepare and retake. Did you not feel well during the test?! that's a huge drop from your practices.

If you were averaging that high I would say prepare and retake. Did you not feel well during the test?! that's a huge drop from your practices.

I felt fine! I really don't know what happened at all =(

when you took practice exams, did you simulate real test situation? Strict timing and all that?

when you took practice exams, did you simulate real test situation? Strict timing and all that?

everything. even woke up at 8 to do them, did the essays too. the worst i did on an aamc practice test was a 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
should i just throw in the towel. i know its my dream, but there comes a time where you just have to face the facts and no when its not meant to be.
You have time to recover from this blow, since you've just started junior year. Let some time go by, then dig deep and find your gumption again. Plan for a January through April, or so, retake. Meanwhile, don't let your attention waver from the need to maintain an excellent GPA and continue gaining necessary ECs.

Because you seem to be confused about why you aren't performing as well as you would like - if you really feel like you know the material for these tests, and are doing well on practice tests - are you having a problem with test anxiety? Because that can play a huge role in your performance on test day and there are lots of techniques such as breathing and other bio-feedback methods to deal with that if that is your issue...

Hello guys,

Well--here is my update, by the end of this semester I will be scraping a 3.2 GPA overall, my projected GPA for last semester wasn't right and it brought my GPA down from a 3.4 to a 3.1 =( I'm finishing fall semester as a junior, so I have a year and a half left to go. I'm not going to apply this cycle, but I'm going to apply next cycle.
As for the MCAT as you guys know I got a 29, debating whether I should take it January or in July sometime?

Also-suggestions on what to do on my gap year?
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP =)

Oh sorry, that was a typo! It was indeed a 21 =(
I know for a fact I'm going to wait a cycle to apply, but I don't know when I should take my MCAT again. Being a TX resident, I feel like my best bet is to apply to Texas schools, but are there schools out of state that I might get into?
I really want this and am trying really hard for it, but maybe I'm not cut out for it (ie-my grades)

It was indeed a 21

I know for a fact I'm going to wait a cycle to apply, but I don't know when I should take my MCAT again. Being a TX resident, I feel like my best bet is to apply to Texas schools, but are there schools out of state that I might get into?
I really want this and am trying really hard for it, but maybe I'm not cut out for it (ie-my grades)
Retake the MCAT when you're ready, and consistently scoring in your target zone on practice tests. If you have few plans for next summer, you might consider dedicating three months to studying then and retaking in September so there is no conflict with classes.

Also-suggestions on what to do on my gap year?
You can decide on this strategically depending on if you have any weaknesses among your ECs. Are you making progress gaining clinical experience and getting in some regular nonmedical community service for a cause you care about?

I have clinical experience and I volunteer at a domestic violence safehouse. Would DO schools be the better bet for me? I still have a year and a half to bring up my GPA, that being said, the highest it can get to is like a 3.5 (I factored in getting some B's in classes).

DO schools are a great option, and as projections sit right now you'd be more competitive for DO with an MCAT score of 25-30ish. You might still become competitive for MD schools, depending on final GPAs, if your MCAT score comes out as strong as some of your practice scores have suggested (33-34).

TCOM is a great school and there are many DO schools outside Texas that would love to hear from you when the time comes.

Also,
I took classes at community college for credit (just two governments), my adviser said that those 6 hours of As count towards my overall gpa when I apply to medical schools. So my GPA will go up to at least a 3.56!!

My adviser also showed me a list of a lot of traditional students with lower gpa's than a 3.5 who have gotten into medical school. I know sdn is supposed to be here to help, but sometimes it can be very discouraging. Maybe being a Texas resident really does help a lot, but I feel that that turning in your application early can also give a gigantic upper hand. But I do want to thank everyone for responding to all my questions! Thank you :)

Also,
I took classes at community college for credit (just two governments), my adviser said that those 6 hours of As count towards my overall gpa when I apply to medical schools. So my GPA will go up to at least a 3.56!!

My adviser also showed me a list of a lot of traditional students with lower gpa's than a 3.5 who have gotten into medical school. I know sdn is supposed to be here to help, but sometimes it can be very discouraging. Maybe being a Texas resident really does help a lot, but I feel that that turning in your application early can also give a gigantic upper hand. But I do want to thank everyone for responding to all my questions! Thank you :)

I know, SDN can have that effect. :) The experienced posters don't want to inflate your hopes so they always urge you to be the best applicant possible.

Also, keep in mind anytime a median GPA or MCAT for a school is provided, 50% of people fall below that value. Like Pitbull says, shoot for the stars and if you fall, at last you'll still be on top of the world! Good luck!

Hello everyone,

Well since the last time I posted, many things have happened. My sister was in the hospital twice this past year for attempted suicide and it has had a tremendous affect on my grades. Not that bad, but I made two more C's in my classes which means that I have four C's on my transcript. I did however, bring up my GPA to a 3.3, and I'm definitely applying senior year so I have one more year to bring it up. The highest it can get is a little under 3.5, somewhere like a 3.47ish. I'm retaking my MCAT either this summer or over the winter, depending on how confident I feel. Basically, my question is should I start thinking about other options? I was thinking of getting an MPH. I know my extracurriculars are AWESOME and I know that I have the passion and the interviewing skills.

I just need some encouragement.

1) Basically, my question is should I start thinking about other options?
2) I was thinking of getting an MPH. I know my extracurriculars are AWESOME and I know that I have the passion and the interviewing skills.

3)I just need some encouragement.
1) Average stats for those matriculating to DO med schools are 3.48 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA, and MCAT 26.51. Your cGPA looks to be fine. What is your sGPA?

2) How will an MPH help you, if your purpose is to get into an MD med school? It is not a hard-science discipline that will reassure adcomms about your academic potential. You'd be better off with a fifth year in college, or even better, considering the TCOM-affiliated SMP-like program if you want a better shot at MD schools.

3) Right now, you're not out of the running for MD or DO schools, depending on your MCAT outcome. Take heart. Get a bunch of As over this next year. Stay determined.

sGPA is the same--3.32.
I just was considering MPH as something to do if I don't get into medical school. I don't know if waiting another year is a good option for me since I am already taking a gap year.
Thank you so much!!

So, presumably your sGPA will rise in a year's time as well.

Continuing as a degree-seeking student is a good ploy to put off repayment of student loans, but you could make a more strategic choice for making yourself a more viable med school candidate than an MPH if it's "just something to do." If loans are a non-issue, you could just get a job and make some money while recharging your academic batteries and beefing up activities.