-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CHANCE ME PLEASE!!
Started by Dr.dentist.dds
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
probably won't get in anywhere. retake the DAT
doesnt matter the other numbers, it is always the DAT and GPA.
doesnt matter the other numbers, it is always the DAT and GPA.
apply broadly and wisely...Hmm okay. I’ve talked to a lot of schools and they said one 16 is fine as long as the other scores are above. Is this not factual?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you are going to need to apply to more than thatThank you!! What are some schools you would say? I’m thinking USC, BU, Tufts, NYU. What are your thoughts?
what is your state of residency?
I’m applying to a total of 14 schools including Buffalo, VCU, and those listedyou are going to need to apply to more than that
what is your state of residency?
dentalschool_CAD
Full Member
What did you get on the other parts of the DAT? I think you definitely have a chance to get into at least a private school. Remember that dental school admission is viewed holistically so it is not just your DAT and GPA that matters. Just make sure the schools you are applying to don't have DAT cut-offs for the OCHEM section.
you haven't listed any schools...I’m applying to a total of 14 schools including Buffalo, VCU, and those listed
are you applying this cycle or next?sorry! BU, usc, tufts, NYU, buffalo, vcu, LECOM, asdoh, case, Indiana, Creighton, Roseman, UNE, midwestern
you have a previous post where you said next...
Hmm okay. I’ve talked to a lot of schools and they said one 16 is fine as long as the other scores are above. Is this not factual?
do you realize the person who answers the call at the office is probably some undergrad student or near min wage worker who does not even know what is going on?
their main goal is to encourage applications and they can always say no and collect your fee to fund the fancy lunch they feed other interviewees.
You should take the DAT again, that is the only thing holding you back or even if you get in, it is going to be a long shot and it is at the 600k school like USC, NYU that ppl cringe at now.
alright thank you!do you realize the person who answers the call at the office is probably some undergrad student or near min wage worker who does not even know what is going on?
their main goal is to encourage applications and they can always say no and collect your fee to fund the fancy lunch they feed other interviewees.
You should take the DAT again, that is the only thing holding you back or even if you get in, it is going to be a long shot and it is at the 600k school like USC, NYU that ppl cringe at now.
@Mr.Smile12 Would appreciate your help!
Your DAT AA 19 PAT 19 is acceptable but I'd expect late action on your application if things stand. Sure, one score below 17 won't be disqualifying, but there are enough applicants who have 20's across all sections that your DAT scores are not going to help you. Hopefully there's something else in your personal journey and background that might be interesting.
I always tell applicants to connect with ASDA and SNDA chapter officers, and you should make those connections.
I always tell applicants to connect with ASDA and SNDA chapter officers, and you should make those connections.
Thank you! How can those students help in admission? Also is there any way I can send you a private message. Another question I have is if an admission counselor for a dnetal school said I would be fine for that school, can I just take their word for it? Thanks again!Your DAT AA 19 PAT 19 is acceptable but I'd expect late action on your application if things stand. Sure, one score below 17 won't be disqualifying, but there are enough applicants who have 20's across all sections that your DAT scores are not going to help you. Hopefully there's something else in your personal journey and background that might be interesting.
I always tell applicants to connect with ASDA and SNDA chapter officers, and you should make those connections.
Both ASDA and SNDA are active in trying to reach out to predental students, including webinars and applicant resources over the pandemic year. Both usually host open houses at their respective schools.Thank you! How can those students help in admission? Also is there any way I can send you a private message. Another question I have is if an admission counselor for a dnetal school said I would be fine for that school, can I just take their word for it? Thanks again!
Those of us who are admissions counselors but do not have any decision-making role can only give you our impressions based on history. If you remind them or other faculty of another student they admitted who was successful, that can often be a good sign. That said, you can never take any assurance spoken to you as a guarantee because no one can predict how an admissions committee will make a decision (except perhaps the chair of the admissions committee or the designated admissions dean or director).
Oh ok, even if he’s on the admissions committee?Both ASDA and SNDA are active in trying to reach out to predental students, including webinars and applicant resources over the pandemic year. Both usually host open houses at their respective schools.
Those of us who are admissions counselors but do not have any decision-making role can only give you our impressions based on history. If you remind them or other faculty of another student they admitted who was successful, that can often be a good sign. That said, you can never take any assurance spoken to you as a guarantee because no one can predict how an admissions committee will make a decision (except perhaps the chair of the admissions committee or the designated admissions dean or director).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would dare not call a faculty member serving on admissions committee as a "counselor".Oh ok, even if he’s on the admissions committee?
A committee can go against the best metrics for the oddest reasons.
so are you saying that the person probably doesn't have much say?You would dare not call a faculty member serving on admissions committee as a "counselor".
A committee can go against the best metrics for the oddest reasons.
He may be compelled to recuse himself depending on how he knows you or saw your pending application.so are you saying that the person probably doesn't have much say?
My point is you called him an admissions counselor, not an admissions committee faculty member. These are different and it's not right to misrepresent anyone's roles.