chance me pleassseee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetugboat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
long time lurker, finally got myself to make an account name. My current GPA is a 3.73 (uconn) and I'll be taking the MCAT in august (NJ resident). I will be applying to schools next year and taking a gap year. I've taken a three practice tests and got a 32, 31, 32. I was hoping for some advice on my school list and what you thought my chances were. Thanks in advance for your help. its greatly appreciated.

-shadowed trauma and orthopedic surgeon (94 hours)
-volunteered in nursing home (81 hours)
-volunteered in rehabilitation facility (51 hours)
-volunteered in research lab (works on two different projects and got 1 publication) (106 hours)
-corps member of americorps program called jumpstart sophomore year (275 hours)
-team leader of americorps program called jumpstart junior year (340 hours)
-pre med society (freshman year, sophomore year was public relations, junior year was vice president, senior year will be president....won the election last april)
-worked on a ski mountain (this winter will be my fifth year there)
-volunteered in women's association of hospital. specifically helped out in fundraising projects (30 hours)

tentative school list: (in rough order of difficulty)
brown
mount sinai
nyu
boston university
einstein
tufts
uconn
georgetown
jefferson
temple
vermont
cincinatti
maryland
wake forest
robert wood johnson
new jersey medical school
virginia commonwealth
penn state
new york medical college

Members don't see this ad.

seems like you woulld be competitive for other top tier med schools in addition to brown, mt sinai, nyu if you get 31+ on mcat

seems like you woulld be competitive for other top tier med schools in addition to brown, mt. sinai, nyu if you get 31+ on mcat

What are you talking about? A 3.7/31 is going to have a difficult time with top schools, even with moderately strong ECs. Feel free to add more top schools but not at the expense of any lower and mid tier ones.

Score 30+ on the real thing OP like you have been doing and you should have a good shot at getting accepted somewhere.

Also, how the heck did you get a pub with only 100 hours in a lab? Though a publication looks good, adcoms might want to see more substantial research experience in the next year (at least at your upper tier schools).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I always advise against Brown. Despite being a private school they have to accept so many RI residents, and they have a huge preference for folks that did their UG there.

I hit the lab at a really lucky time and the phD i did research for loved me so he was willing to throw my name on...thanks for all the advice guys. i appreciate it...wasn't planning on applying to any other top tier schools cuz money is tight and dont think I'll get anything above 32 on the real mcat

I hit the lab at a really lucky time and the phD i did research for loved me so he was willing to throw my name on...thanks for all the advice guys. i appreciate it...wasn't planning on applying to any other top tier schools cuz money is tight and dont think I'll get anything above 32 on the real mcat

General piece of advice: make sure you reread the paper and understand it inside-out before your interviews. I wouldn't be surprised if your interviewer asks you about it, especially in light of the publication w/ relatively few hours.

General piece of advice: make sure you reread the paper and understand it inside-out before your interviews. I wouldn't be surprised if your interviewer asks you about it, especially in light of the publication w/ relatively few hours.

good advice I appreciate it, i'll make sure i do so. thanks :)