Chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soulcal32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first thread on SDN.

Stats: 3.5c, 3.5s MCAT: 30 (10,10,10)
VA resident, also went to a VA school.
Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)

I have normal EC's and a year of research. I was wondering if I should consider a SMP or grad school. I plan on applying this coming up cycle. I have read a lot on the forums saying that most grad school viewed is not exactly a big + in the eye's of adcoms. I realize that I'm on the lower end of people who are accepted into medical school. Any advice is appreciated.

Volunteering:
1 yr at a hospital
1 yr helping tutoring mentally challenged children for the GRE
1 yr at hospice

Shadowing:
50 hrs (Family practice)

Hobbies:
Lifting, Soccer, Basketball

School List: (Any advice on the list as well)
USC (California, I know it's a major reach)
Wake Forest (Parent did residency here)
UVA
EVMS
VCU
GWU
Gtown
Rush
MCW
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
NYMC
Albany
Tulane
BU
Tufts
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

I think BU, Tufts, Gtown, and MCW are reaches.

I'd say expand list to all VA schools, some WV schools, and relatively less competitive schools in surrounding states as well.

I think BU, Tufts, Gtown, and MCW are reaches.

I'd say expand list to all VA schools, some WV schools, and relatively less competitive schools in surrounding states as well.

I'll add VT and WVU, Marshall , and Penn State. Any advice on any other schools I should add or how my application stands as of now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good self-assessment of where you stand.

I'd just say that you need to somehow distinguish yourself before you enter the AMCAS meat grinder. In activities or your AMCAS personal statement. And then focus on your interviewing skills too.

I think you have a good self-assessment of where you stand.

I'd just say that you need to somehow distinguish yourself before you enter the AMCAS meat grinder. In activities or your AMCAS personal statement. And then focus on your interviewing skills too.

Thanks appreciate the advice!

You're in great shape and don't need an SMP. Just line up all your LORs and personal statement so you can apply as early as possible (submit June 1 if you can). You won't get accepted everywhere but I would bet that you would get accepted somewhere, even with options if you interview well.