Chance me? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragoBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I'm a 3.94 Pharm Sci student transferring to university this Fall 2015 from a community college (three years) and will be finished with my degree in another three years. Took the DAT recently and got 21 AA, 22 TS, 22 PAT. I've also accumulated 100+ of shadowing hours, 100+ volunteer hours (although most was during high school.)

The thing is, I plan to apply to dental school without finishing my degree, if possible- I would finish only two years at my university instead of three. Reason to this is to finish dental school faster and help out my parents. I've already taken out loans even just for community college so one less year of tuition is really beneficial.

Just wanted some opinion on this. Assuming I maintain my GPA and continue with my hours, would my credentials (without a degree) be enough to warrant an admission offer? What about if/when I apply after getting my degree? How competitive would I be?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd probably have to retake the DAT to get early admissions. Not saying it's bad, but you REALLY need to stand out to get early admissions.

3 years of a community college, and you still have 3 more years of undergrad? How is that possible?! Switch your major to some general studies degree and you will get done much faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Hammer Time Originally was working toward a bio major, switched to chem, and now am set on pharm sci. My major offers classes on certain quarters only so that definitely plays a part on my slow progress :( My last year I would be working on probably two major classes and the rest can be whatever.

@Hammer Time Originally was working toward a bio major, switched to chem, and now am set on pharm sci. My major offers classes on certain quarters only so that definitely plays a part on my slow progress :( My last year I would be working on probably two major classes and the rest can be whatever.
Not to be rude because I don't know your situation. But why does your major matter if your going to be a dentist? Your not going into a career in pharmsci so why are you so set on it?

@jackjackson1121 Dont worry its a good question. I decided to do pharmsci because I feel I'd enjoy that more than bio/chem. And so far I am!

@Skyrising I've taken a total of 74 sem units, does all of that count towards the CC credit limit you mentioned or only some? I know my bio, chem, ochem courses will count towards that but a good chunk of my total units were introductory courses.

@Skyrising I've taken a total of 74 sem units, does all of that count towards the CC credit limit you mentioned or only some? I know my bio, chem, ochem courses will count towards that but a good chunk of my total units were introductory courses.
I believe they count every credit, even introductory/general education courses. They do this because your CC GPA will get calculated into your overall GPA when you apply to dental school and they view courses taken at CC to be easier than the identical courses taken at a 4 year university. This looks troubling, so I'd definitely check to see if there are any dental schools that don't have a CC credit cap. Also call those dental schools you're interested in directly to see how strict they are on their CC credit caps. Like I said, the link is pretty dated so maybe their policies have changed since then. Only way to know for sure is to call their admissions office. Best wishes!

@DragoBlue those stats are unbelievable!!! Congratulations on being a legend! I would advise against retaking it!!! AA/TS/PAT are very well balanced! Your DAT is already out of the way and with that being said you can apply first day applications open up! Legendary! Oh got this, in the end of the day it's your choice, just call up the schools you're interested in and have a chat with them and see their opinion, I'm sure they'll tell you that you're very competitive! #BeastMode #AllDay #WhereDaMoneyAt

Oh and don't forget that stellar GPA!! And Extra curriculars! And even more years for more extra curriculars!!! You're so set! Beast Mode

Where did you do your prereqs classes? At community college? If so, don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading that some schools either limit the number of credit hours for your prereqs done at community college or just flatout won't accept community college credit at all for prereqs.

Either way, IMO, you are way better off just getting your bachelor's degree the quickest way possible and then applying to dental school. There's no reason to spend 6 years on your undergraduate degree unless it's absolutely necessary. I took only 5 years to get a undergraduate degree and Master's degree, and that includes a major change, getting a minor, and studying abroad.