Chance of Getting into a DPT Program

Started by skiflutept
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skiflutept

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I am currently enrolled in the BS/DPT 4+3 program at the University of Hartford. I will be a junior in the fall with a major in health science and a minor in psychology. I am considering applying to a couple of DPT programs. If I do apply, it would be to Rutgers Newark (used to be UMDNJ North) and one or two other schools, possibly Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire. I was curious if someone could tell me if I have a shot at these schools based on my current stats.

My Stats:
General Bio w/lab: A
General Chem I w/lab: C+

Rhetoric & Professional Writing I: A
Psych 101: B+

General Chem II w/lab: B-
Intro to Sociology: B-
Pre-Calc: A-
Intro to Computers: A-
Rhetoric & Professional Writing II: A
Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar I: A

A&P I w/lab: A-
Human Development: A
Intro to Communications: A
Psych 102: A
History 1945-Present Day: A-

A&P II w/lab: B
Orgo w/lab: B

Creativity Dynamic Artistic Expression: B+
Calc: A-
Infant & Child Development: A-
Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar II: A

Classes I still have to take (in semester order): Physics of the Human Body w/lab, Statistical Analysis for PT, Sports Psych, Educational Strategies for Health Professions, Hunger: Problem, Scarcity, and Choice.

Electricity in the Human Body w/lab, Exercise Phys w/lab, Abnormal Psychology, Ethics in the Profession, Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar III

Genetics, Health Psych, Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar IV, Upper-level Social Science, Upper-level Humanities elective

Functional Anatomy w/lab, Medical Microbiology w/lab, Elective, Elective (bolded effects science GPA)
My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.46, Science GPA is 3.1

Volunteer Hours: 700 in outpatient orthopedics (still volunteering and will get hours in a 2nd clinic next winter), 15 in subacute, 6 in school for children with special needs

Extracurriculars: Pep Band (since freshman year), Capitol Winds Symphonic Band (since sophomore year), Circle K (since sophomore year), Physical Therapy Student Association (since freshman year, I will be Vice President next year). I might play club field hockey next year. I was selected to live in the WISET (Women in Science) RLC freshman year. I babysit when I am home for twin girls.

I am hoping to get my cumulative GPA up to a 3.5 and not get anything lower than B's in my remaining science classes. Let's assume I do average on the GRE's.

 
By the way, you are in good shape with your overall credentials to get an substantial amount of PT schools. I figured that was the reason why you didn't want to go to your current PT program. Well best of luck to you and keep us updated on your decision!