Chance of Getting into a DPT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiflutept

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently enrolled in the BS/DPT 4+3 program at the University of Hartford. I will be a junior in the fall with a major in health science and a minor in psychology. I am considering applying to a couple of DPT programs. If I do apply, it would be to Rutgers Newark (used to be UMDNJ North) and one or two other schools, possibly Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire. I was curious if someone could tell me if I have a shot at these schools based on my current stats.

My Stats:
General Bio w/lab: A
General Chem I w/lab: C+

Rhetoric & Professional Writing I: A
Psych 101: B+

General Chem II w/lab: B-
Intro to Sociology: B-
Pre-Calc: A-
Intro to Computers: A-
Rhetoric & Professional Writing II: A
Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar I: A

A&P I w/lab: A-
Human Development: A
Intro to Communications: A
Psych 102: A
History 1945-Present Day: A-

A&P II w/lab: B
Orgo w/lab: B

Creativity Dynamic Artistic Expression: B+
Calc: A-
Infant & Child Development: A-
Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar II: A

Classes I still have to take (in semester order): Physics of the Human Body w/lab, Statistical Analysis for PT, Sports Psych, Educational Strategies for Health Professions, Hunger: Problem, Scarcity, and Choice.

Electricity in the Human Body w/lab, Exercise Phys w/lab, Abnormal Psychology, Ethics in the Profession, Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar III

Genetics, Health Psych, Pre-Physical Therapy Seminar IV, Upper-level Social Science, Upper-level Humanities elective

Functional Anatomy w/lab, Medical Microbiology w/lab, Elective, Elective (bolded effects science GPA)
My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.46, Science GPA is 3.1

Volunteer Hours: 700 in outpatient orthopedics (still volunteering and will get hours in a 2nd clinic next winter), 15 in subacute, 6 in school for children with special needs

Extracurriculars: Pep Band (since freshman year), Capitol Winds Symphonic Band (since sophomore year), Circle K (since sophomore year), Physical Therapy Student Association (since freshman year, I will be Vice President next year). I might play club field hockey next year. I was selected to live in the WISET (Women in Science) RLC freshman year. I babysit when I am home for twin girls.

I am hoping to get my cumulative GPA up to a 3.5 and not get anything lower than B's in my remaining science classes. Let's assume I do average on the GRE's.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you wanting to apply to other schools if you are already in a 4+3 program?

Why are you wanting to apply to other schools if you are already in a 4+3 program?
I haven't heard great things about the professional phase of my program and I could also save quite a bit of money if I got into Rutgers.

By the way, you are in good shape with your overall credentials to get an substantial amount of PT schools. I figured that was the reason why you didn't want to go to your current PT program. Well best of luck to you and keep us updated on your decision!