Apr 8, 2010
Status
Hey guys, new member here. I just got my BS in Biology from UCLA, and I've just now started preparing for optometry (late I know). I have about an overall gpa of 3.5 and science gpa of 3.27. The thing is, I completed all but a few prereqs at my CC before transferring. Also, I still need to take human anatomy/phys, and microbio, which I will have to take at a CC. I plan on applying for Fall 2011. I'll take my OAT and do a lot of shadowing in the meantime. I'd like to attend either SCCO or Berkeley, but I will apply across the country. My questions are: How will schools react to nearly all of my prereqs being from CC, and what OAT scores should I aim for to be competitive with my gpa?

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Well. Because you were a transfer student they may be more lenient than if you did all your prereqs post-BS at cc. But as I'm sure many will say, it depends on the school. Some will say you'll be fine and some will say that they would have preferred u take them at a 4 yr university. But I mean they probably won't discount the units or anything. Though you will have to aim high on your OATs. An applicant with all the exact same numbers as you but took all their courses at a 4 yr is going to look a tiny bit better. So you'll have to make up for it in all the other places (oat, extracurriculars, shadow/experience).

Aim for a 400 on the oat. Just do the absolute best that you can. You can't ask any more of yourself than that. Get the highest score that you can possibly achieve. Dont just aim for 340, then you definitly won't achieve a 400 even if it was within your ability. Why aim for a B when you can have an A?

Feb 22, 2010
Kansas City
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Well. Because you were a transfer student they may be more lenient than if you did all your prereqs post-BS at cc. But as I'm sure many will say, it depends on the school. Some will say you'll be fine and some will say that they would have preferred u take them at a 4 yr university. But I mean they probably won't discount the units or anything. Though you will have to aim high on your OATs. An applicant with all the exact same numbers as you but took all their courses at a 4 yr is going to look a tiny bit better. So you'll have to make up for it in all the other places (oat, extracurriculars, shadow/experience).

Aim for a 400 on the oat. Just do the absolute best that you can. You can't ask any more of yourself than that. Get the highest score that you can possibly achieve. Dont just aim for 340, then you definitly won't achieve a 400 even if it was within your ability. Why aim for a B when you can have an A?
Agreed. Set your goals high if you want to go to Berkeley. But in truth if you want to be the "better" candidate you have to show proof that you can do what it takes to be in optometry school. I'm actually planning on taking one of the pre reqs at a CC in the summer because I'm graduating this May. But I think you'll be fine because you were transferring your courses at a CC to a 4-year institution. Study for the OAT this summer and take it as soon as you feel ready but don't wait too long. and APPLY EARLY! Good luck! :luck: