Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shapers45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA resident
Human Biology major, Psych minor
MCAT 33O (9V,11B,13P)
Overall GPA 3.55; BCPM: 3.54 (upward trend as first year GPA 3.19)
Worked as research lab asst last 2+ years (approx 1300 hours)(paid position)
Summer research approx 350 hours (nothing published) (volunteer)
Other summer work during college approx 400 hours
Volunteering in hospital ER approx 80 hours
No leadership
Basically, I needed to work

I understand that top schools are probably out, but do I have any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely get in somewhere, perhaps one of the California schools.

I'd recommend all California schools (even UCLA, UCSF and Stanford, just for the heck of it) and: Jefferson, Drexel, NYMC, MCW, GW, G-town, RFUMS, Loyola, Saint Louis, Tulane (if you don't mind New Orleans).

This should cover it. Your odds aren't great, but you could throw in a couple reach schools that are on the higher end of the range but not all the way at the top like Sinai and NYU.

If you've got the money, I think you should apply to every reach school you're interested in. If you have to limit things, pick out a couple. You just never know. And while I think it sounds like you've got a great shot at CA schools, CA schools can't be relied upon, so you do need a broad selection of OOS schools as well. Are there any geographic regions/cities you're partial to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I know the volunteering, shadowing thing is not helping.
I’m thinking about applying to following:

UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSF
USC
George Washington
St. Louis
Georgetown
Tulane
Albany
Temple
NYU
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Albert Einstein
Tufts
U. Illinois
Cincinnati
New Jersey
Indiana
MCW

Any thoughts on schools?

Eliminate UMDNJ, UIC (Illinois) and Indiana. They may take some OOS here and there, but those applicants often have strong ties to the state and or excellent credentials. You'd be one of several hundred (perhaps a couple thousand) applicants for very few OOS positions.

Temple heavily prefers PA residents and Cincy is public as well. You can keep NYU but may want to add NYMC. Case and Pitt are going to be tough.

I'd highly recommend adding Jefferson Medical College. It's a very good school. Drexel and RFUMS are worth looking into as well.

I've seen a number of OOS applicants get UIC interviews (and I think you'd have a good chance of getting one for an OOS applicant), but check out the tuition. I just posted about it in another thread - OOS it is truly one of the highest in the country. Tufts is also bloody expensive ($52,000?).

Check out MSSM, Rochester and UVM. And if you like Chicago, consider Rush. I'd suggest Loyola, but they're big on volunteer experience, and it doesn't sound like you have a lot. And I agree that Jefferson would be a good pick too if you like Philly.

While it's not a safety, if I were you, I'd probably add Vandy too. And how about Wake Forest?

How is Case out of the question for the OP? It's avg GPA for 2007 was a 3.62 and its median hovers around a low 3.7. With his MCAT and research, I'd say he's got a decent shot if he wants to go there.