Chances (3.8, 40S)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparta900

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the last 3 years now, and it's been amazingly helpful. It's finally application season, so I'm looking to narrow down some schools to apply to.

UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: Political Science
cGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 40S (equal distribution)

Core EC's
---------
3 years of hospital volunteering (the usual stuff) + place on volunteer executive committee
2 summers of volunteering in an orthopedic surgery center (incorporated shadowing but lots of patient contact)
2 semesters + 1 summer of research in radiology (no pubs yet, but possibly by fall)
1 semester abroad at UCL

Misc
-----
Several merit scholarships and competitive research stipends
Club Rugby for 2 years

Expecting pretty solid LORs and strong PS

I know that my stats will make it through the initial selection process, but I'm a bit worried that my EC's may not be quite up to scratch. Considering the following schools:

Johns Hopkins
U. Penn
Yale
Duke
Stanford
Washington U.
Weill Cornell
Columbia
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Northwestern
U. Wisconsin
U. Michigan
U. Chicago
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Emory
NYU
USC
UC Davis
U. Kentucky
U. Arizona
U. Virginia
Penn State

I'd really appreciate any insights you guys could provide, as to which schools look good and which don't- though I know it varies a lot by candidate. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Your research and medical volunteering are fine. I assume your leadership is also fine because of your volunteer executive committee experience. A little bit of non-medical volunteering wouldn't hurt you. Try some shadowing too if you have time, ideally in a primary care field.

I would say your list is a wee bit too top heavy. You can't count on anything with the more top ranked/UC schools, so try and add a few more safeties.

Thanks Lucius- I was thinking the same, I'll probably cut a few of the top tens out. Ideally I'm hoping to get into Vanderbilt, Emory, USC, or Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
A little bit of non-medical volunteering wouldn't hurt you. Try some shadowing too if you have time, ideally in a primary care field.
I'd like to see more than "a little bit" of nonmedical community service. Consider giving some time weekly to a cause you care about and adding the details into future update letters.

The ortho shadowing you have is good to see, but a greater breadth of experience would be demonstrated if you can include an office-based primary care doc. This shadowing can be done quickly and "last minute" without prejudice. It would be best if you have some by the time you submit.

no Harvard?

Oops- good catch. That list was copy pasted from an older document, before they changed their admissions requirements (Calculus II...no thanks). I'll be applying there too though