MD Chances and Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your answer?

• Still have a chance to get into a decent medical school.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Probably a low chance of getting into a decent medical school and go with Dentistry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low chance of getting into both.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a Sophomore in college and I am just unsure about my chances into medical school.

I currently have a GPA of 2.868 and below are the GPA for the past year and a half
1st year 1st semester: 11 credit, 2.36
1st year 2nd semester: 12 credit, 3.08
2nd year, 1st semester: 15 credit, 3.067

I have been slacking off a bit and have spent a whole lot of time studying and finally realized that I really do need to study in a constant basis and actually go to class.

If I do manage to get all As and take maximum credit for the next year and a half, I will be able to get a 3.547 as my GPA. But honestly, it will be hard to get all As even with a lot of time and effort.

Recently, I have been thinking whether I really want to go on and apply to medical school. I have been thinking about the possibility of taking a gap year after undergrad and applying after my fourth year to get my GPA up if I manage to get all As for rest of my undergrad years. Another plan was to take the path to pre-dentistry and see where I go with that.

With my current GPA, do I still have to the chance to get into a decent medical school or would it better to take the pre-dentistry route or do I not have a chance to get into a decent dentist schools?

p.s. I am wondering about this right now because of the new MCAT and whether I should take the MCAT or start studying for DAT or neither. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a 3.7+ over your next two years, and then rock the MCAT, you have a good shot. I wouldn't give up just yet.

When you say over the next two years, do you recommend taking a gap year or just start applying after my third year if I do get over 3.7+?

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

When you say over the next two years, do you recommend taking a gap year or just start applying after my third year if I do get over 3.7+?

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

A gap year would be beneficial. It will give you an extra year to raise your GPA. You also can use the time to get a job in the field and really prove your interest. You might even be able to get a publication out of it, which will help you later on when applying to residencies.