Chances applying as TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I applied for a surgical subspecialty this year and failed to match. I took a TY spot in the SOAP and am now planning to apply for something different, likely either anesthesiology or radiology. I was wondering what my chances are applying as a TY (I realize it is possible I will have to repeat intern year if I can't find a physician spot). Would appreciate any advice on steps I can take to maximize my chances.

Stats:
Step 1 and 2CK 250s
Grades: All A's on clinical rotations, Mostly A's and some B's in pre-clinical, 2nd quintile rank
Research: Mostly in surgical specialty, several posters and manuscripts. Probably can get on some anesthesiology projects before fall though.
ECs: Some volunteering and leadership, nothing out of this world.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for a surgical subspecialty this year and failed to match. I took a TY spot in the SOAP and am now planning to apply for something different, likely either anesthesiology or radiology. I was wondering what my chances are applying as a TY (I realize it is possible I will have to repeat intern year if I can't find a physician spot). Would appreciate any advice on steps I can take to maximize my chances.

Stats:
Step 1 and 2CK 250s
Grades: All A's on clinical rotations, Mostly A's and some B's in pre-clinical, 2nd quintile rank
Research: Mostly in surgical specialty, several posters and manuscripts. Probably can get on some anesthesiology projects before fall though.
ECs: Some volunteering and leadership, nothing out of this world.

While your stats are pretty decent and might otherwise make you competitive for mid to high tier programs, I wonder what you've done to show an actual interest in anesthesia. Most programs don't want wishy washy applicants that are looking for a foot out the door

I find it hard to believe that someone like you who seemed to have done everything right failed to match.

I saw a guy on reddit with 250s, class president, aoa, multiple pubs etc. fail to match EM. And they don't even have a job market anymore! It's crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest talking to your school’s Anesthesia dept now. Start rotating when you have time off on weekend or days off to get exposure and ask for letters of rec. If a decent medically challenging case comes up, submit as posted to Asa conference after discussing with that attending. Apply to both categorical and reserved. GL

Reactions: 1 user