Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Chances at DO schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sotvanpardis, May 15, 2018.

1. sotvanpardis

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys,

So this is the first time I am posting here. I was wondering if I could get some feedback at my chances for DO schools with the following stats (I'm a Texas resident):
    GPA: 3.75 overall
    MCAT: 503 (I got a 123 on the verbal )
    1 year of research experience
    1 year of hospital volunteer experience
    8 months of hospice volunteer experience
    and 1.5 years of ongoing ER scribe job
    Thank you in advance for your help

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Do you have any DO exposure? There's still time to try and shadow a DO doctor and possibly get a LoR.

The stats look fine to me. But one of the biggest things is whether or not you're a good fit for their school. And that means being able to tell the difference between DO and MD, and having a good reason why you prefer DO (which would be difficult to explain if you have no DO exposure)

GL

4. sotvanpardis

Pre-Medical
    My DO exposure is minimal. I worked with 2-3 DOs at the ER during their shifts but my letter is from an MD.

5. foxwood

Having a LOR from a DO would go a long way. Perhaps approaching one of the DO's you worked with is an option.

6. keepItReal17

Pre-Medical
    Stats look good. Write good essays, have people proof read them, and you should have a shot at getting in. Good luck!

7. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    You're fine for any DO school, including mine. Note: lacking a DO LOR won't hurt (except at schools that require one) but having one WILL help.