Chances at FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am DO student, 3rd year. Average step 1 scores. 223 on step 1 on usmle, and 527 on Comlex level 1. I honestly always just wanted to be a primary care physician. Not interested in any specialities or surgery at all. Have made my mind up for FM. I am top 1/3 in my class. Volunteer hours.

Some questions:
1) Are my scores enough for an UNOPPOSED family medicine program(Id be happy anywhere especially in FL, NC, NY, or TX, PA.. etc).
2) What else can I do in years 3 and year 4 to improve my chances at matching? I have been doing well on my rotations so far.
3) Any other tips?

Thank you very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

cmon man, its fm... I know IMGs who fail boards and have a 5+ year gap between med school and residency that get into unopposed FM programs. It's even easier if u dont care where you go.

..If FM is competitive, where do all the people who failed boards, low test scores end up.

Reactions: 2 users
you need at least 3 pubs and 235+ on USMLE for unopposed family med. Better work on your Step 2 score and get 600+ on COMLEX 2 or you'll be SOAPing after match day

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you need at least 3 pubs and 235+ on USMLE for unopposed family med. Better work on your Step 2 score and get 600+ on COMLEX 2 or you'll be SOAPing after match day

I hear that the standards for a FM slot in Nebraska is much higher.

Dam I really do not like research

Most successful FM applicants crack out at least 2 pubs, but 3 is honestly the golden number. Since you didn't get the 235+ @IntheClouds4ever mentioned, you really should push for 3. Also maybe consider getting tutoring for Step 2 to make sure you can see an improvement there too. Maybe @Dr. USMLE could help you get the scores you need?

This is your dream and although you've had a setback, I believe in you. Brush this off and move forward with a plan in mind. You can do it!

Most successful FM applicants crack out at least 2 pubs, but 3 is honestly the golden number. Since you didn't get the 235+ @IntheClouds4ever mentioned, you really should push for 3. Also maybe consider getting tutoring for Step 2 to make sure you can see an improvement there too. Maybe @Dr. USMLE could help you get the scores you need?

This is your dream and although you've had a setback, I believe in you. Brush this off and move forward with a plan in mind. You can do it!

When Harvard caves to the pressure from the OMM king pins in the American Osteopathic Association and finally is forced to open their OMM Track Unopposed FM Residency Program for Rural Boston, which will be a joint FM program between MGH/Brigham/MEEI/Dana Farber, then we will see the Step 1 averages increase to 255 for Unopposed FM, and the average research publication number will hit 28. We are living in exciting times.

Reactions: 1 user
Dam I really didn't think that Unopposed family med programs were that competitive. I just want to be a good clinican at the end of the day. Didn't know that needed a 235+ step score and a lot of publications. I hate research and never focused on it, just so I could glorify my resume.

Dam I really didn't think that Unopposed family med programs were that competitive. I just want to be a good clinican at the end of the day. Didn't know that needed a 235+ step score and a lot of publications. I hate research and never focused on it, just so I could glorify my resume.
I believe they're are being sarcastic. It's hard to read sarcasm across the electrons most of the time.

Still got plenty of time to compensate that weak Step 1 with a high Step 2 and some case studies from now.

Get to work for that FM slot in Boston.

tenor.gif

Sorry but you have no chance for the FM program at Harvard/MGH/MEEI/Brigham/Dana Farber that will be opening up when the merger is complete, and will be open only to MDs from Harvard/Hopkins/Stanford with at least 195 Step 1, but also DOs who have 260 Step 1, with at least 10 research publications in The Lancet and/or Nature. This merger has been devastating for Family Medicine hopefuls among the osteopathic community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your doing great man, just do a couple of aways at MGH with a couple 'names' in the field and I think we can maybe help you get a community program in rural Nebraska. You can do this.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe they're are being sarcastic. It's hard to read sarcasm across the electrons most of the time.
So is he, so I am totally cool with it. One of the most entertaining threads we have so far.

Your doing great man, just do a couple of aways at MGH with a couple 'names' in the field and I think we can maybe help you get a community program in rural Nebraska. You can do this.

Sorry but after the merger, he will not be able to do any away rotations at the new program opening up at MGH. Ross and Xavier University School of Medicine in Aruba have already bought those seats. You need a 260 as a DO and pay $5000 to apply for away rotation there now.

Sorry but after the merger, he will not be able to do any away rotations at the new program opening up at MGH. Ross and Xavier University School of Medicine in Aruba have already bought those seats. You need a 260 as a DO and pay $5000 to apply for away rotation there now.

DO Leadership: "An away rotation at an BFE FM site in Arkansas for $1K will be enough. Hooah to Doctors that DO primary care in BFE places."

DO Leadership: "An away rotation at an BFE FM site in Arkansas for $1K will be enough. Hooah to Doctors that DO primary care in BFE places."

Good news is here -> CHOP and Boston Children's will be joining with Liberty University and University of Incarnate Word to create a rural Caribbean pediatrics and family medicine program in which DO graduates who did not take Step 1 can do 3 years of preliminary work in order to be eligible to apply for residency in American FM programs.. Now they will not need to go live in BFE, Arkansas. OP should really look into this program if he is serious about practicing as a physician in the US. It's like the medical graduates equivalent of top quality SMP programs.

Good news is here -> CHOP and Boston Children's will be joining with Liberty University and University of Incarnate Word to create a rural Caribbean pediatrics and family medicine program in which DO graduates who did not take Step 1 can do 3 years of preliminary work in order to be eligible to apply for residency in American FM programs.. Now they will not need to go live in BFE, Arkansas. OP should really look into this program if he is serious about practicing as a physician in the US. It's like the medical graduates equivalent of top quality SMP programs.
So much Arkansas hate in this thread :(

So much Arkansas hate in this thread :(
Ironically the states people make fun of on SDN/reddit are actually drastically better for practicing as a doctor. In almost every field but especially primary care You'll often top 400k as a family doc in these places if you like (or way more) and won't have the logistic nightmare east coasters have. Plus more respect, autonomy, 1000x wider scope of practice, etc.

What's even more ironic is how competitive these states' family med residency is lol.

Ironically the states people make fun of on SDN/reddit are actually drastically better for practicing as a doctor. In almost every field but especially primary care You'll often top 400k as a family doc in these places if you like (or way more) and won't have the logistic nightmare east coasters have. Plus more respect, autonomy, 1000x wider scope of practice, etc.

What's even more ironic is how competitive these states' family med residency is lol.
I know this already, I also happen to be from Arkansas :)

The fact that big disparities exist in terms of access to primary care even after all that.... that should tell you how badly people prefer to live that big city life.

And no, they're not competitive. The city programs are actually way more competitive and some will rarely touch DOs, at least in places like Boston and whatnot.

But we were joking in this thread, to be honest.

The fact that big disparities exist in terms of access to primary care even after all that.... that should tell you how badly people prefer to live that big city life.

And no, they're not competitive. The city programs are actually way more competitive and some will rarely touch DOs, at least in places like Boston and whatnot.

But we were joking in this thread, to be honest.
Opposed city programs are competitive? In what world? Most are filled with IMGs.

Opposed city programs are competitive? In what world? Most are filled with IMGs.

Neither opposed nor unopposed FM programs are competitive whatsoever, my friend. However, when it comes to a city like Boston you're gonna have to drop that DO if you want a decent chance at getting FM there.

The two programs in Boston (BUSM and Tufts) rarely take DOs, yet they're full of people from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Northwestern, Pitt, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Brown, BUSM, etc. With applicant pedigree looking like that, they aren't exactly feeling the need to interview too many DOs.

Last edited:
You know, there are other cities in the United States besides Boston.

No kidding. The person I was replying to was asking me in what world opposed FM is "competitive" compared to rural unopposed FM programs. Just giving one example from the city I actually know very well. Obviously there are many other examples.

Last edited:
I was speaking in generalities since you mention Boston in almost every example you provide; I wasn't talking about this thread in the slightest as I didn't even read what you wrote to the person you replied to. Just wanted you to know other cities do in fact exist ;)

Wow you are a genius. Thanks for letting me know.

Neither opposed nor unopposed FM programs are competitive whatsoever, my friend. However, when it comes to a city like Boston you're gonna have to drop that DO if you want a decent chance at getting FM there.

The two programs in Boston (BUSM and Tufts) rarely take DOs, yet they're full of people from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Northwestern, Pitt, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Brown, BUSM, etc. With applicant pedigree looking like that, they aren't exactly feeling the need to interview too many DOs.
They aren't competitive, exactly. But to say city programs are.. I don't see any evidence. Boston is a unique city in that regard (anti DO bias). Also, Harvard sends like 3 people into fm per year in total lol.

Are you always such a d.ouch.e in real life as you are on here and on the class facebook page? I was clearly being sarcastic, lighten up.
Ah so the secret identity of sab is known? I've always wondered that haha I always kinda thought people just used this to blow off steam and weren't the same personalities off here

Ah so the secret identity of sab is known? I've always wondered that haha I always kinda thought people just used this to blow off steam and weren't the same personalities off here
I don't know it, but I know a fair number of the KCU-Joplin people that post here.

I think thats mostly true. But you do get a feel over time for people. The complaints don't come out of nowhere.
Yep. Not all of us are rednecks. Promise
So only rednecks skin rabbits now? Way to be judgmental man:p

Judging by my years of living there, yes, that is true

Are you always such a jerk in real life as you are on here and on the class facebook page? I was clearly being sarcastic, lighten up.

I am not in your class. But this isn't the first time this has happened, which is interesting.

They aren't competitive, exactly. But to say city programs are.. I don't see any evidence. Boston is a unique city in that regard (anti DO bias).

It's not the best assessment, but you can often tell how relatively competitive a program is by the schools contained in its residency roster. That is at least some evidence. On the other hand, you implied that the rural unopposed FM programs are relatively more competitive, but there is actually zero evidence for that, and I would say that the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Though I gave BUSM and Tufts as an example before (both in city of Boston), there are many FM programs that fit the same bill. Programs like UCSF, Cornell/NYP, etc., they are all in the same category of being big city programs at academic research hospitals in which they share patients with tons of prestigious specialty departments. Of course, they are heavily opposed. But they contain relatively few or no DOs whatsoever, but have many residents from top 10 schools. You can be sure that these programs are more competitive than even the best FM program out in the middle of nowhere that gives you the best training possible. Best training does not equal most competitive. Basically my point is that there are FM programs in big cities that are way more competitive for a DO to get into than rural programs, even though rural programs may offer "superior" training.

Last edited: