Chances at matching PM&R.

Started by Joepro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Joepro

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I was wondering what are my chances to match at a solid PM&R program, and if I have a shot to match at some of the higher echelon programs such as Stanford, Northwestern, the Mayo clinic, etc.

I'm a non-traditional third year US allopathic student with a somewhat limited research experience; a few poster presentations, a few AMA policy resolutions and not much else. I passed everything on a first go with with a couple of high passes, I have a pretty solid clerkship evals- with most stating that I'm a solid student, eager to learn, a good team player, and a fun person to work with.

I've had an extensive work experience before school, and amateur athletic career up until medical school. I also have a lot of volunteering experience in the community.

my step 1 score is in the 240's. haven't taken step 2 CK yet.

I've been interested in PM&R for quite some time but I attend a smaller school so I have a limited exposure to it, with 4th year being the first time I can rotate in it.

Do I have a solid shot? and how can I strengthen my application in the time I have left to become a better candidate?
 
Hi, I was wondering what are my chances to match at a solid PM&R program, and if I have a shot to match at some of the higher echelon programs such as Stanford, Northwestern, the Mayo clinic, etc.

I'm a non-traditional third year US allopathic student with a somewhat limited research experience; a few poster presentations, a few AMA policy resolutions and not much else. I passed everything on a first go with with a couple of high passes, I have a pretty solid clerkship evals- with most stating that I'm a solid student, eager to learn, a good team player, and a fun person to work with.

I've had an extensive work experience before school, and amateur athletic career up until medical school. I also have a lot of volunteering experience in the community.

my step 1 score is in the 240's. haven't taken step 2 CK yet.

I've been interested in PM&R for quite some time but I attend a smaller school so I have a limited exposure to it, with 4th year being the first time I can rotate in it.

Do I have a solid shot? and how can I strengthen my application in the time I have left to become a better candidate?

Shadow a local physiatrist and get a good letter! I know 3rd year is tough to find extra time, but if you want it that badly, you can do it.
Get involved with AAPMR and AAP.