chances at MD- circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Freshman in college right now and due to emergency appendectomy due to ruptured appendix I have been unable to return to college since midterms and because of this can't work out incomplete's with the teachers and will have to take F's in 5 courses. My question is how will this affect acceptance into a MD program.
I am fairly sure I will end my undergrad with at least a 3.7 or higher.
I already have a small amount of research and volunteering/shadowing done.
If I get a good mcat score and good EC's do I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I still don't understand from your other thread why you couldn't get a medical withdrawal approved by your school's Dean.

If you're taking 5 F's, mathematically speaking, there's no possible way you can get above a 3.5 taking the same course load for the next 7 semesters with straight A's. Maybe a 3.6 if you take heavier course loads, but if you're applying after your 3rd year we're talking a 3.4 max. Where are you getting "at least" 3.7 from?

You definitely still have a chance. It'll be an uphill battle and you'll have to explain to schools what happened and why you couldn't withdraw ("my professors wouldn't let me" isn't good enough...) but this by no means discludes you from the medical field.

I am a Freshman in college right now and due to emergency appendectomy due to ruptured appendix I have been unable to return to college since midterms and because of this can't work out incomplete's with the teachers and will have to take F's in 5 courses. My question is how will this affect acceptance into a MD program.
I suggest you work hard to NOT have all those Fs on your transcript. Either take an Incomplete and spend the summer making up the work if the faculty are willing to work with you, or Withdraw and take Ws for the classes as they have no effect on your GPA, or go to the dean with your medical records in hand and a note from your doctor saying you were unable to return to classes due to complications and get a retroactive withdrawal (if you are already past the deadline for a normal withdrawal).

If officially get a Withdrawal from all your classes, you might even get some tuition money back (at least this happens at my school).

Members don't see this ad :)

I am sorry you needed an appendectomy. That sucks.

Why are your professors not aware of the situation? If you had a job, wouldn't you have called to let them know you weren't coming in or would you simply be a no-call/no-show and let yourself get fired without bothering to let them know the issue? (Sure, they might lay you off because they cannot afford to not have you working for a certain period of time, but at least you'd still get a good reference.)

You're pretty late now, but it makes no sense for you to be so silent. You should have withdrawn immediately once you knew you would be unable to return to school. That said, the dean is typically able to override policy in cases like this. You should be calling that person to plead your case to be medically withdrawn from all classes. 5 Ws isn't good, but if you explain the circumstances, they can be ignored. On the other hand your 5 Fs won't be ignored. Period. (They will still effect your GPA even if you are able to explain them away.)

Regardless, there is still hope even if you do not get those classes withdrawn but your chances would be drastically reduced.

I suggest you work hard to NOT have all those Fs on your transcript. Either take an Incomplete and spend the summer making up the work if the faculty are willing to work with you, or Withdraw and take Ws for the classes as they have no effect on your GPA, or go to the dean with your medical records in hand and a note from your doctor saying you were unable to return to classes due to complications and get a retroactive withdrawal (if you are already past the deadline for a normal withdrawal).

If officially get a Withdrawal from all your classes, you might even get some tuition money back (at least this happens at my school).

Exactly. Those F's will be the kiss of death for getting into a competitive medical school. 5 W's on the other hand and you could still get into a top 20. If they won't change the F's to W's either you're not telling us something or you ought to sue your previous school. I'm not joking.