Chances at Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefkeef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a 4th year student at the University of Toronto, going into my 5th year (not because I didn't finish enough courses, but just having trouble deciding on life). I came into university very set on optometry, then sort of fell off that train, but recently, I've fallen back in love with the career. My GPA is a 3.48, with my last two years being very strong. I have not taken my OAT yet, but I plan to this summer, as well as getting experience shadowing and volunteering at a clinic. My 5th year would be for taking less courses (but I still have to take the biochem prereq), and hopefully for being more active in volunteering or working. Waterloo is probably my primary choice, do I have a realistic chance at getting in if I complete everything I have to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it. Where there is a will, there is a way. Have a backup plan if you only decide to apply to one school and don't get in

Reactions: 1 user
Waterloo usually accepts a grade average from minimum 79%! If you kill your OAT (get above 370 averages) and have stellar extra-currics then you definitely have a higher chance of getting in. Hope that helps and goodluck :)