chances at SGU and Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsk89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 28S. Any ideas? I'm applying for Fall 2013

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely competitive. Why not apply for SMPs for fall 2013? You're competitive for those too, and it would be a waste not to at least try to get into a US MD school. The Caribbean isn't going anywhere...

You are definitely competitive. Why not apply for SMPs for fall 2013? You're competitive for those too, and it would be a waste not to at least try to get into a US MD school. The Caribbean isn't going anywhere...

Agree with this. Or try applying to DO schools. Those stats should be competitive for osteopathic schools.

If, after you have done everything possible to get into a US school at least twice, including completion of an SMP, and still have not succeeded, then and only then should you consider the Caribbean, and only the big 4 schools, like SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba.
They're good schools, but they still have lower residency placement rates than any US school, including the DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your feedback! Will definitely look into SMP and reapplying in US.

Agreed with all above. From what I remember also, SMP applications should be starting up around now to next month, so get on that. Do well, (it would probably serve you well to retake the MCAT also, some programs have a prep for the MCAT as part of the SMP) and you'll probably have a solid shot since it isn't like you're trying to make up for a horrible GPA. Good luck

I applied to for fall 2013 too, also to SGU and LSU. Bit higher GPA, though. I do think that they have excellent education in the caribbean, esp. Ross and SGU. I've heard that the students that go to the states for clinical rotations are very knowledgeable (at least for veterinary medicine). Depends on the student, really...

With your stats, I'm sure that you'd have a shot at Ross and SGU. I applied to Ross and interviewed on 1-Nov. I was accepted on 12-Nov for the Fall 2013 class. My undergrad science GPA is a 2.97 and my overall is a 3.28. I scored a 25 (6 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS) S on the MCAT and finished a masters in pharmacology & toxicology with a 3.57. Have lots of research and public health experience and have almost 20 years of military and civilian health care experience. Having said that, I also applied to several DO's and if I get into one of those, that's the route that I will be taking. I've heard a lot of stuff about how the changes in the residency process will put IMGs at a disadvantage; that combined with the over 257k tuition at Ross makes me hesitant to commit to the Carib route.