Chances at SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drctother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know an SGU student who got an 8 in the verbal section. I remember how shocked he was to find out at orientation that so many people had 30+ scores.

You should try to pull your practice verbal scores up to at least 9. Then if you score 8, you'll still have a reasonable chance at acceptance.

If you go to SGU, will you be able to get back into Canada, or are you planning to practice in the US?

I would love to come back to Canada, but I want to do Emergency Medicine and I have heard coming back to Canada for that is virtually impossible. I wouldnt mind ending up somewhere like New York.

Do you know anything more about this? I just have a bit of knowledge from reading these forums

Members don't see this ad :)
drctother you might check out valuemd.com which has lots of similar discussions about SGU and other carib schools. Your stats sound good enough for SGU and several other schools. In fact if you can re-take a couple of your science courses and bring up your science GPA you might have a chance at a U.S. osteopathic admittance. They allow you to substitute new grades, not simply average them in, so you can potentially apply with a 4.0. good luck
TB

I am a current SGU student studying to take my step 1.

I know people in my class you had a lower MCAT than you and also less EC than you. that being said- you should try and improve your verbal if possible, but even w/ your current stats- you are a good applicant for SGU. My MCAT was 13 BS, 11 PS, and 7 VR, and writing L, my GPA was 3.7. But, I know tons and tons of people in my class who had MCAT around 24-25ish and GPA around 3.0, and on the other side of spectrum did know tons of people with 30 + MCAT and GPA close to 3.9/4.0.
overall, i'd say you have a good shot at getting in as long as you are not a total act like a lunatic during ur interview.

Thanks alot guys, positive feedback means alot. Best of luck to you

I read your backstory. You sound a lot like me.

I made my dreams come true, coming from SGU. You will have to work HARD, but it sounds to me like you're no stranger to dedication.

PM me for more details if you'd like.