lilluverblossom

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everyone! Getting into pharmacy is one of my dreams—but I’m not sure if I’m ready to apply this year. Here are my stats:

stats:
Golden, CO resident asian female
GPA: 3.45 (I know it sucks) at the CO School of Mines, finished 1st year there, declared chemistry, but thinking of switching

AP (if anyone knows more about how you got out of prereqs using AP scores, please tell me):
Chemistry 5
Biology 4
Calculus 3
English Lang 5
Environmental Sci 5
US History 5
European History 4
Spanish Lang 4

Transcript:
Fall 2005:
Organic chem. I: B
Calc II Honors: B
Independent Study (research): A
Microecon: A
Environmental sci: A

Spring 2006:
Organic chem. II: B
Physics I: B
Calc III honors: B
Honors class: A
Independent Study: A

Extracurrics
- Director of Public Relations with JYI (go check out www.jyi.org or email me at [email protected] if you want to get involved with science journalism)
- Volunteering at a medical clinic (doing both pharmacy and stalking a doctor) for the past few months, planning to continue it in the school year
- Did polymers research with a professor at Mines during my first year…trying to decide if I want to stay with the project
- Two internships at the Department of Health doing environmental PR and some pharmaceutical stuff during the summer

do you think i'll be able to get into CU-SOP and Albany College of Pharmacy (with my comparatively low GPA and such)?

Thanks!!

twester

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacist
Your stats look really good. School of Mines is a notorious school for difficulty. It's an engineering school. I think your chances of getting an interview at CU-SOP are good. Remember that preference is given to in-state students.

You'll need to show your commitment to pharmacy and why you're switching from an engineering focus. It always comes up. It looks like some of your ECs are in line with that. I'd recommend "stalking" a PharmD rather than an MD. The interview makes or breaks almost everybody.

I don't know about AP credit and pre-requisites. Have you checked CU's website at: www.uchsc.edu/sop ? Or give them a call.

Good luck!

JWirawan

That's Interesting News
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I think you will be called for interview definitely, but the acceptance also depends on ur interview, so good luck on your interview later =).

About the Ads

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
doublehh03 said:
patmd, can you tell me how your interview went at CU?

The interview isn't bad. Its consists of a short math/bio quiz, your interview and a group activity. The quiz is questions like converting ml to L and basic biology. The interview is with one faculty member and one student. At least in my case it was pretty much just a converstation about my background and my interest in pharmacy. For the group activity you have to work with your group to order in terms of importance a list of work place qualities.

doublehh03

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
patmcd,

do u think CU really emphasize on pharm exp that much? i emailed beverly and she said any health experience is useful so i don't know how to take that.

if u don't mind me askin, what were ur stats?

thanks

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
Pharmacy experience is not essential. The only pharmacy experience that I had was a little shadowing. Without any pharmacy experience you really need to have a good reason why you want to go into pharmacy during your essay/interview. Having experience in other ares of healthcare would be useful since it still exposes you to the medical field and could help you eliminate other possible areas.

3.74 gpa w/biochemistry bs from CSU
lots of extracuriculars
90 PCAT (not that it matters for UCHSC, although apparently that might change in a year or two)

OP
L

lilluverblossom

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
twester said:
Your stats look really good. School of Mines is a notorious school for difficulty. It's an engineering school. I think your chances of getting an interview at CU-SOP are good. Remember that preference is given to in-state students.

You'll need to show your commitment to pharmacy and why you're switching from an engineering focus. It always comes up. It looks like some of your ECs are in line with that. I'd recommend "stalking" a PharmD rather than an MD. The interview makes or breaks almost everybody.

I don't know about AP credit and pre-requisites. Have you checked CU's website at: www.uchsc.edu/sop ? Or give them a call.

Good luck!
Thanks twester! I'll keep all this in mind--I'm off to visit the school on Friday with a general Q/A session. Besides my prereq and "how do I improve my chances to get in" questions, do you have any other suggestions?

twester

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacist
lilluverblossom said:
Thanks twester! I'll keep all this in mind--I'm off to visit the school on Friday with a general Q/A session. Besides my prereq and "how do I improve my chances to get in" questions, do you have any other suggestions?
Cool, enjoy your visit. Everybody I've met there is really nice. I don't have any other suggestions really. Just ask good questions at the Q/A and do some good networking. It certainly won't hurt you. Good luck.

About the Ads