Chances for DO/MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big_Failure

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for DO/MD?

3.8 GPA with 8 W's (withdrawal full semester and 1 summer class, withdrew twice same class also a pre-requisite - didn't fail both times but a family situation happened and mental health problem also) Also attended 3 schools (the first one was a community college)

No MCAT yet.
EC's ok but no research at all.

First Choice school is Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (New)

Do I stand a chance despite this dark period in my life?

Members don't see this ad.

You need an MCAT to tell you, I had many Ws just need to have an explanation during interviews, why liberty?

3.8 GPA with 8 W's (withdrawal full semester and 1 summer class, withdrew twice same class also a pre-requisite - didn't fail both times but a family situation happened and mental health problem also) Also attended 3 schools (the first one was a community college)

No MCAT yet.

need

Reactions: 1 user
Ws shouldnt be a problem, i withdrew from a semester and got IIs and it was never asked about. gpa good but cant really chance you without an mcat come back then

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ws shouldnt be a problem, i withdrew from a semester and got IIs and it was never asked about. gpa good but cant really chance you without an mcat come back then

Thank you for replying and sharing your story, I was very discouraged because of the withdrawals and posts like this make me feel a lot better.
If I get ~500 should I be good for Liberty?

You need an MCAT to tell you, I had many Ws just need to have an explanation during interviews, why liberty?

need

Religious affiliation, small classes (very little traditional lecture halls), and also political views (No hate please).

Thank you for replying and sharing your story, I was very discouraged because of the withdrawals and posts like this make me feel a lot better.
im not the person to ask about this

With medical school apps nothing is garunteed. Just try as well as you can and work on ECs. Apply to a bunch of MD and DO schools and try to go to the best one you can.

No MCAT yet.

Your GPA can get you into Harvard. Come back when you get an MCAT score and then we can really advise.
And you can do a lot better than LUCOM.

Liberty U the school who rushed to hire the sanctioned athletic director of Baylor who oversaw the coverup of rape by the football program ... those are quite the political views to get behind man !

If you're really into that kool-aid, LUCOM will gladly take you once you exhibit the values many SDNers can't possibly convey when getting post II rejections from them

If LUCOM is close to home and that's what you really want then go for it. Don't sell yourself short thinking about getting a 500ish on the MCAT. With your GPA, you should be able to study for like a week and get a 500 and probably better so shoot for the stars with that one. Get your EC's up and do some research. You should really research more schools though and consider MD as well.

Your GPA can get you into Harvard. Come back when you get an MCAT score and then we can really advise.
And you can do a lot better than LUCOM.

Thank you for the insight.
Loyola University Chicago would be nice too, but I am sure my W's will stand in the way of acceptance unless I get a super high MCAT score (I won't).

I know you hate Liberty University, but there is really nothing wrong with their medical school. Prestige/ranking is not that important to me and Liberty seems like a place I will be happy at even if I can go to a "better school".

Thank you for the insight.
Loyola University Chicago would be nice too, but I am sure my W's will stand in the way of acceptance unless I get a super high MCAT score (I won't).

I know you hate Liberty University, but there is really nothing wrong with their medical school. Prestige/ranking is not that important to me and Liberty seems like a place I will be happy at even if I can go to a "better school".
Truly you shouldn't worry so much until you get your MCAT score back. Doesn't matter where you go to med school, you'll still end up becoming a doctor, but plenty of schools have curriculums that make it easier for you. Apply to LUCOM, but find some other schools too because you might end up liking them more.