Chances for DO this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiraiya2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am seriously considering DO schools right now due to some time related constraints. My biggest problems right now is having no shadowing experience from both MD or DO (meaning no LOR from either fields). Also, I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I just signed up for the MCAT this September 10th of 2016, but then realized that it would be too late into the cycle for MD programs. I also came across some threads saying that DO's cycle so much longer, so will I be able to make it into any DO school ? Of course with the assumption that my MCAT score is decent enough. My stats are right below.

23 yr old Asian from Oregon, double major in Biochemistry and Biology.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 516 (Practice)

EC:
2 years of computer tutoring at a cc.
2 years of clinical volunteering at a local hospital (~200 hrs)
6 months of clinical volunteering at the same hospital's ICU (different department, ~100 hrs)
2 months of volunteering at the same hospital's specialty pharmacy (~50 hrs)
1 year of clinical volunteering at OHSU's mICU (~250 hrs)
1 year of research at PSU's chemistry lab (no publication/poster, this should amount around 250 hrs )
Ongoing volunteering at The Oregon POLST Registry (should have around 80-100 hrs by time of applying)
Ongoing research assistant/clinical volunteering with a Speech Pathologist PhD at OHSU (should have around 150 hours by time of applying).

Members don't see this ad.

Dont limit yourself to DO. Either take the MCAT earlier or wait a year. If you were older I would understand but at 23 you have plenty of time to at least give yourself a shot at MD.

Hi all,

I am seriously considering DO schools right now due to some time related constraints. My biggest problems right now is having no shadowing experience from both MD or DO (meaning no LOR from either fields). Also, I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I just signed up for the MCAT this September 10th of 2016, but then realized that it would be too late into the cycle for MD programs. I also came across some threads saying that DO's cycle so much longer, so will I be able to make it into any DO school ? Of course with the assumption that my MCAT score is decent enough. My stats are right below.

23 yr old Asian from Oregon, double major in Biochemistry and Biology.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 516 (Practice)

EC:
2 years of computer tutoring at a cc.
2 years of clinical volunteering at a local hospital (~200 hrs)
6 months of clinical volunteering at the same hospital's ICU (different department, ~100 hrs)
2 months of volunteering at the same hospital's specialty pharmacy (~50 hrs)
1 year of clinical volunteering at OHSU's mICU (~250 hrs)
1 year of research at PSU's chemistry lab (no publication/poster, this should amount around 250 hrs )
Ongoing volunteering at The Oregon POLST Registry (should have around 80-100 hrs by time of applying)
Ongoing research assistant/clinical volunteering with a Speech Pathologist PhD at OHSU (should have around 150 hours by time of applying).

With your stats, I would just wait another cycle and try going to MD programs (especially with that kind of MCAT score.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure if I can wait another year. What about the timing issues ?

What timing issues do you even have? You're 23, you're young. Don't let your parents make you believe you will be a failure if you don't apply this cycle.

And what if the interviewers ask, what do you like to do in your community that is not science/medical related? You got the checklist items but what makes you special?

With all your volunteering experience, it does seem like you have some good health care experience. However, shadowing some DOs and MDs provides wonderful perspectives on what 1) a career as a physician is like and 2) differences between DO and MDs, if there are any. Not only do letters of recommendations come out of shadowing experiences, but you learn SO much more about the profession when you shadow. You learn whether medicine is for you, and if so, you gain perspective on what kind of physician you want to be in the future.

Also, as amazing as your "practice" MCATs are, it's not the real one. Nerves & pressure on test day are natural for everyone, so anything can happen on test day of course.

Last edited:
What timing issues do you even have? You're 23, you're young. Don't let your parents make you believe you will be a failure if you don't apply this cycle.

And what if the interviewers ask, what do you like to do in your community that is not science/medical related? You got the checklist items but what makes you special?

Also, as amazing as your "practice" MCATs are, it's not the real one. Nerves & pressure on test day are natural for everyone, so anything can happen on test day of course.

Planning to take it on Sept 10th. My parents have nothing to do with my decision in applying early.

schools won't review your application until your MCAT scores are in (so since it takes a month to get in, you'll have your primary sent out in October). DO do have a longer cycle but it is still advantageous to send apps out early. Your GPA looks fine, EC could have a little work (mainly just getting in the shadowing done), MCAT is up in the air. Practice MCAT scores =/= actual scores although I wish they do sometimes T.T (only when I do exceptionally well on them).

If you want MD, I'd wait a year. If you have to get in this cycle I would apply to DO. Maybe you can still apply for MD this cycle as well but if you fail to recieve an acceptance then you will be trying as a re-applicant next time which doesn't give you any advantages (However, if these time constraints prevent you from having another opportunity to apply in the future, might as well apply to both).

PS: I thought you were me because the first sentence I read was:
"23 yr old Asian from Oregon, double major in Biochemistry and Biology"
until I realized I'm 24 and my double major was in human anatomy not biochemistry. Lulz, hooray for sleep deprivation!

I am not sure if I can wait another year. What about the timing issues ?

Honestly what time constraints do you have that could warrant rushing into one of your biggest life decisions? Get some shadowing, do well on the MCAT, and apply MD next spring. You can come thank us in 5 years.

Thank you all, I am grateful and will take your advices into consideration. I will now go back to hibernation and will be back around Sept with my mcat score ;)

Lol you're 23 with that estimated MCAT it would be worth waiting a cycle and applying MD. keep all doors open, plus oregon H&S is boss