Chances for general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alkylate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
About to start residency applications and wanted to get a feel for my chances of matching in general surgery
-Top 5 medical school
-Clinical grades: All high passes with a pass in peds
-Step 1: 255
-Research: 2 publications (1 in chemistry from undergrad, one in surgery) and 2 posters (1 of which is 1st author)
-Volunteered at a free clinic, had a few leadership roles
-My concern: had to take a medical leave of absence. I took step 1 AFTER I returned from my leave of absence so I hope that would allow me to redeem myself and prove that I am a strong candidate now that I've gotten passed my leave. Of note I've also volunteered abroad in a developing country as well as in my hometown during my leave of absence. I'm really wondering what you guys think about this in particular

I'm trying to match into an academic surgical program. Do you guys think I have a chance to match at a top 10-15 program with my stats? What would you guys recommend I do to increase my competitiveness by the time I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
About to start residency applications and wanted to get a feel for my chances of matching in general surgery
-Top 5 medical school
-Clinical grades: All high passes with a pass in peds
-Step 1: 255
-Research: 2 publications (1 in chemistry from undergrad, one in surgery) and 2 posters (1 of which is 1st author)
-Volunteered at a free clinic, had a few leadership roles
-My concern: had to take a medical leave of absence. I took step 1 AFTER I returned from my leave of absence so I hope that would allow me to redeem myself and prove that I am a strong candidate now that I've gotten passed my leave. Of note I've also volunteered abroad in a developing country as well as in my hometown during my leave of absence. I'm really wondering what you guys think about this in particular

I'm trying to match into an academic surgical program. Do you guys think I have a chance to match at a top 10-15 program with my stats? What would you guys recommend I do to increase my competitiveness by the time I apply?

You'll probably be stuck in a family practice residency somewhere with those terrible numbers....

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
come on. let the dude post. he posted in med student i told him he might get better (questionably) advice over on gen surg and he posted here. just give him the advice he needs and the thread itself will move along...

come on. let the dude post. he posted in med student i told him he might get better (questionably) advice over on gen surg and he posted here. just give him the advice he needs and the thread itself will move along...
Encouraging someone to violate long standing rules and customs is generally not good advice hence the response above.

Questions from medical students which are more relevant to students are best placed in the med student forums where plenty of more advanced users read and post.

Reactions: 4 users