Chances for getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndMyAxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! This is my first post, and I was looking to gain some feedback.

I have recently graduated from college with a Cell/Molecular Biology degree. My GPA and GRE scores are good (4.0 GPA, ~90th percentile on the new GRE). I also have 4 years of experience working in research labs. However, my animal/vet experiences are very low. I just recently (in my senior year) decided to pursue a DVM after being on the pre-med track for a while. So, I have more experience volunteering in hospitals than I do in vet clinics.

I am still looking for a full-time volunteer position during the summer to rack up clinic hours. I also have about 50 shelter hours and around 50 (and counting) hours at a wildlife rehabilitation center.

Another thing to consider is that, being from Arizona, I do not have an in-state school to apply to. I am planning on applying to WICHE sponsored schools in my area, but even so, the competition seems pretty fierce.

Would it be worth it to apply this year and see what happens? Or should I take another year off to gain more experience hours first?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can certainly apply this year IF you start tomorrow getting as much animal & vet experience hours as possible AND have a great explanation for the switch.

Vet school apps are not like med school apps in that you can submit June or October and it won't matter.

You can do a lot in 4+ months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously your grades are good, but what you are lacking is veterinary hours. These are hours that are required for many schools, and they can only be obtained by working with a veterinarian. So while you are obtaining animal hours (shelter and wildlife) you really should be focusing on getting into a clinic somewhere and shadowing a veterinarian.

I would say it if you can get at least 75 hours of veterinarian hours this summer before applying to go ahead and do it.

Good Luck!

Just keep getting experience and you'll get in somewhere. Unless you are terrible at interviews..

Also, Arizona is opening a vet school next year (meaning they will be accepting applications October 2013).

So you can get in-state tuition, but it would take another year.

Other than that, your stats look excellent. Don't stress it.

Definitely agree that you need to get some veterinary/animal experience, but if you have any interest in research, your research hours will definitely be beneficial.

And honestly, it is possible to stand a chance without ridiculous numbers of veterinary experiences hours, but it depends on how competitive the applicant pool as a whole is. My first app cycle (two years ago) I was wait listed at 4 out of 5 schools I applied to with like 80 hours of small animal vet experience and a couple hundred hours in animal experience. However, I had over 1000 hours working in labs because I worked as a lab assistant throughout college. If this year had been my first year applying and I had those stats, I'm not sure I would have fared as well. You don't have to be doing any hands on vet experience. Shadowing will count, so just start contacting a bunch of clinics in your area to get something set up. And if you do apply this year, definitely really work on your personal statement. If you can make yourself stand out and explain you decision to pursue vet med well, I think you can stand a chance.

Also, do your research on schools and see what aspects of your application they put the most weight on. Also, keep in mind, some schools will allow you to follow up with them and add hours to your application after you have submitted. This is a good idea to do since it shows you are still working on gaining hours and increasing your experience instead of just stopping since you've applied already. If you get an interview anywhere, they definitely want to hear what you've been doing all year, so you want to make sure you have something to talk about.

Research hours count too! I'm assuming they are science/medicine related, and as long as they were under the guidance of a medical professional (PhD, MD, DVM, etc.) they count, and will definitely make you a unique applicant.

I would also keep in mind that the adcoms like to see a variety of experience; so if you're up to the challenge, it can totally be done!

You can certainly apply this year IF you start tomorrow getting as much animal & vet experience hours as possible AND have a great explanation for the switch.
!

Somehow, I find this offensive.

You need a personalized reason. This reason may or may not be 'great' in someone else's eyes.

I'm sorry if you did not mean your comment that way, SnowyRox, but I just find that highly offensive. Your comment struck a nerve with me. You are a first-time applicant, probably straight out of college. How much life experience have you had? Many people have a career change. Dedication, perseverance, and passion are much more important than a 'great reason' for a switch.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand: You have pretty amazing stats. Some schools do not care much about animal hours (as much as they'd like you to think otherwise). Many schools actually rule you out FIRST on your numerical stats before even looking at the personalized reasons why you want to go to vet school or would make a great veterinarian. Numbers are key to many places.

Apply. What can it hurt? If you don't apply...you may always wonder, "What if...." Chase your dreams, take risks. Remember: "I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Research hours count too! I'm assuming they are science/medicine related, and as long as they were under the guidance of a medical professional (PhD, MD, DVM, etc.) they count, and will definitely make you a unique applicant.

I would also keep in mind that the adcoms like to see a variety of experience; so if you're up to the challenge, it can totally be done!

They absolutely do. I had thousands of research hours over several years in many biomedical disciplines and only approximately 200-250 veterinary hours (worked at one clinic full time for a month and a bit, honestly, just to say I had).

Got in on my first try. Research makes you unique. Obviously, if you plan to go clinical, you should get some more clinic experience. But if, like me, you prefer to go into a more academic veterinary discipline, then just get whatever basic hours you need and talk about what you want to do in your personal statement. There are TONS of applicants with hundreds and hundreds of veterinary hours. That's nothing special. There are very few with substantial research hours. I say use what you have and sell it.

I was also a latecomer to the veterinary field - I didn't even consider vet school until my junior year of college because, as many uninformed people think, I thought vets basically treated dogs and cats and horses and that was about it. I had no idea about specialties like exotics, research, lab animal medicine, and pathology, etc. That's really what drove me to it. Don't feel awkward about making the switch - just be prepared to explain why. For me, it was that veterinary medicine would give me so many more career opportunities and such a varied experience, when compared to a basic PhD in biochemistry (my original plan). I wanted a career that was application based, not just theoretical stuff, something I could go off and do tons of different things with.

Somehow, I find this offensive.

You need a personalized reason. This reason may or may not be 'great' in someone else's eyes.

I'm sorry if you did not mean your comment that way, SnowyRox, but I just find that highly offensive. Your comment struck a nerve with me. You are a first-time applicant, probably straight out of college. How much life experience have you had? Many people have a career change. Dedication, perseverance, and passion are much more important than a 'great reason' for a switch.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand: You have pretty amazing stats. Some schools do not care much about animal hours (as much as they'd like you to think otherwise). Many schools actually rule you out FIRST on your numerical stats before even looking at the personalized reasons why you want to go to vet school or would make a great veterinarian. Numbers are key to many places.

Apply. What can it hurt? If you don't apply...you may always wonder, "What if...." Chase your dreams, take risks. Remember: "I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

I don't think SnowyRox meant this to be offensive, nor am I disregarding your feelings about this topic. I do, however, agree that the OP needs to address the switch in career choice (regardless of their age, experience, etc.). In my interview I was asked "Why not human medicine?" even though it's something I have never ever considered simply because my dad is an MD (I know many people with similar experiences). Even if it doesn't come up in his/her written app, it very well could during am interview? Ex) I see you have a lot of experience working in human hospitals, but not in veterinary hospitals, why is that? I don't think it is necessarily going to hurt the OP, but he/she should have thought of a meaningful and well reasoned answer to that question. I think that may be what SnowyRox was getting at. Again, no offense is meant. Just saying that I disagree and I think this may be something that the OP needs to address. I think people who have tried out other careers before vet med are great and the other qualities you listed definitely are more important than knowing you want to be a vet since you were a kid.

This could be a great opportunity to say something along the lines of, my experiences made me realize I'd be happier in vet med rather than human med. *Insert reason why.
Just get whatever hours you can so you can prove you know what you're getting yourself into! I think your stats will do the rest of the talking. :) Good luck.

Also, Arizona is opening a vet school next year (meaning they will be accepting applications October 2013).

So you can get in-state tuition, but it would take another year.

Other than that, your stats look excellent. Don't stress it.

It will be interesting to see what if any accredidation the vet school in arizona will get when it opens. I personally would never attend an unaccredited school based off conversations I have had with vets who graduated from unaccredited schools. Just something to think about.

Also, whiche is tough, especially from az. I know, I have gone through the process before and have been told (by adcoms) it is just as competitive as applying OOS. Again, something to think about. Don't pick a school just because it is wiche, pick where you want to go.

Your stats are great. Absolutely amazing. I wish mine had been that good. Now, try to get some other experiences. From a fellow arizonan, that can be difficult to do. I wish I could get you an in with the places I work but I they are strict on the no volunteers. Try going into vet clinics, dress nice (not overly so, but decent) and ask to speak with an office manager. If they are busy, leave a resume with cover letter stating that you are looking at shadowing because you are applying for vet school. Explain your interests in vet med and what your passions are about the field. Hopefully you can get to volunteer or shadow somewhere. Also, your research experience is great and for some schools will count as vet experience.

As far as applying this year, that is a decision you need to make. It costs money to apply so if you are not worried about the money then go for it. If you don't get in, then do the file reviews and kick out a rock solid second application.

Make a strong personal statement and have many people read it over. Make it as personal as you can, this is your chance to show who you are and what interested you in vet med. Since you made the switch to vet med recently what was it that made you switch. Was it something you saw while doing research? Whatever it was, explain it the adcoms could find it interesting.

Good luck. If you have any more questions, ask. I can help you with any wiche stuff too. Feel free to send me a private message too. There aren't many of us arizonans on here, so stick around. Most of us don't bite.

Thank you so much for all the input!!

My plan is to keep plugging away and apply this year. And, if I don't get in, there's always next year! By that time, I'll be sure to have many more hours under my belt.

In case you were wondering, I switched after realizing that I was pursuing med school for the wrong reasons, including influence from my peers and my family (my dad is a radiologist). I was also influenced by my dog's recent battle with cancer (which was successful, by the way! :D ) It really showed me first-hand the amazing things that vet medicine can do!