Chances for MS3 newly interested in the field / research concerns

Started by AOK123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just completed my MS3 ENT rotation and ended up loving it, but not sure how competitive I am relative to other applicants. My biggest concern is lack of ENT-specific research, although I have a lot of Ophtho research (which I was originally interested in).

Step 1: 258
M1/M2 grades: all honors
MS3 grades: H in internal med, HP in fam med, psych, and neuro so far. Will work hard for an H in gen surg
Class rank: top 25%
AOA: just applied for junior aoa, waiting to hear back
Research: 1 first author ophtho pub, 2 ophtho manuscripts currently submitted, 2 ophtho poster presentations, 2 poster presentations in undergrad. NO ENT RESEARCH but will be getting started on an ENT project soon in my dept.
Volunteer: co-chair of organization that serves economically disadvantaged teens, lots of volunteer hours at free clinics
Hobbies: was a member of traditional asian dance team which competed nationally.

Can anyone comment on my chances going forward, and specifically how lack of ENT-specific research will hurt me?

Thanks!

Is it an option for you to take a year off for research?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just completed my MS3 ENT rotation and ended up loving it, but not sure how competitive I am relative to other applicants. My biggest concern is lack of ENT-specific research, although I have a lot of Ophtho research (which I was originally interested in).

Step 1: 258
M1/M2 grades: all honors
MS3 grades: H in internal med, HP in fam med, psych, and neuro so far. Will work hard for an H in gen surg
Class rank: top 25%
AOA: just applied for junior aoa, waiting to hear back
Research: 1 first author ophtho pub, 2 ophtho manuscripts currently submitted, 2 ophtho poster presentations, 2 poster presentations in undergrad. NO ENT RESEARCH but will be getting started on an ENT project soon in my dept.
Volunteer: co-chair of organization that serves economically disadvantaged teens, lots of volunteer hours at free clinics
Hobbies: was a member of traditional asian dance team which competed nationally.

Can anyone comment on my chances going forward, and specifically how lack of ENT-specific research will hurt me?

Thanks!

Looks good. I don't think you need a year for research. Just form some good connections with your home department, have some people that will write good letters. Impress on both your home rotation and aways.
 
I'm in a similar boat. I'll have a bunch of pubs when I apply for residency but they're not directly related to ENT (fungal pathogens and tumor immunology). From what I've heard from my institution, this should not be a problem.