Chances for Neurosurg - Low Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raltima07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I got a low step one score of 220. I am quite interested in neurosurg but I want to know is it a pipe-dream?

I am from a top 25 US medical school. I have 15 publications (7 as first author), LOR from some big name people (not neurosurg), and some good neurology research coming out.

Questions:
Do I have a chance? My dream program would be Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
What can I do to improve (3rd year)?
What kind of step 2 score would help me 'somewhat' overcome step 1?
What would be the highest program I could realistically shoot for?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I got a low step one score of 220. I am quite interested in neurosurg but I want to know is it a pipe-dream?

I am from a top 25 US medical school. I have 15 publications (7 as first author), LOR from some big name people (not neurosurg), and some good neurology research coming out.

Questions:
Do I have a chance? My dream program would be Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
What can I do to improve (3rd year)?
What kind of step 2 score would help me 'somewhat' overcome step 1?
What would be the highest program I could realistically shoot for?

Thanks!

Did you match? This really sucks, you seem like a really competitive applicant. I really hop you did get where you wanted. The kids on this forum seem to think Step I scores are all that matters, it would be nice to prove them wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you match? This really sucks, you seem like a really competitive applicant. I really hop you did get where you wanted. The kids on this forum seem to think Step I scores are all that matters, it would be nice to prove them wrong.
You're still on about this... Honestly dude just get off these forums and go study for step 2 if you're so distraught by your sub-average step 1 score.

Reactions: 4 users

Very inspirational, did you finally match?