Chances for ophtho residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sequester_Grundelplith_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year at a mid tier MD school and have been interested in ophthalmology for a while. I have a 243 STEP 1 with 7 ophtho projects in the works with a few of them submitted for publication and hopefully more projects to come. I have a home residency program and have done elective rotations with the department. I have gotten verbal confirmation from two ophtho docs for LORs. My grades are decent with a few high passes and I have quite a bit of volunteering and hold some leadership positions. My main point of concern is if my STEP score and current lack of pubs would deter programs.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ve got some time left so you should have no problem getting something published or at least accepted before eras. Also time to hit submit on a couple more projects before then too so they all show up on your application.

Your step is a tiny bit low but not excessively so. I doubt that will be your limiting factor. Keep everything else looking good and you should be set up for success. A strong step 2 wouldn’t hurt either.

You’ve got some time left so you should have no problem getting something published or at least accepted before eras. Also time to hit submit on a couple more projects before then too so they all show up on your application.

Your step is a tiny bit low but not excessively so. I doubt that will be your limiting factor. Keep everything else looking good and you should be set up for success. A strong step 2 wouldn’t hurt either.

Thanks so much for the advice! It seems that I should be more aggressive with submission, and it’s reassuring to know I have time.