Chances for Out of State Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD8401

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering how competitive out of state admission is for particularly state schools of pharmacy (as it seems not to matter for the private schools). In the research I've done already, it seems as though many have a low amount of out of state students admitted. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is because most of the seats are reserved for in state students or if most people that apply happen to be from that state. I do not have any particular school in mind at the moment, but if people that attended a school out of their home state could please reply with their statistics, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Iowa out-of-state. Not sure about other schools, but Iowa was pretty out-of-state friendly when I went there (maybe because it's Iowa).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have any concrete evidence for you but don't believe everything you are told about your chances of getting into school. Lots of times the out of state %, the average composite score and even minimum GPAs are "suggestions". What I'm trying to say is there are exceptions to every rule, so don't ever sell yourself short. Good Luck!

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you very much for your reply. I think my stats are okay (Bachelor's degree, 82 PCAT, 3.8 GPA), but it's hard to risk applying to out of school schools if they only have so many seats for out of state-ers---maybe most schools aren't like that though. Again, I appreciate your reply, and thank you!

I have another semi-related question for those people that have gone to pharmacy schools out of state. I've done some research on this topic already, but does anyone know which states will allow a student to apply for residency (in order to pay in state tuition) after a certain amount of time and those that definitely won't?