Chances for SGU or Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheddaranime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are for SGU and Ross. I am an American Citizen living in New York. I am considering applying to the 5 year and 4 Year programs.

I double majored in Biology and Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. My cGPA is a 3.3 and my sciGPA is 3.0. I just took the MCAT and scored 495. I self Identify as Male and Caucasian.

I have Loads of extra curricular actives:
1) Volunteer on an Ambulance (650+hours)
a) I have also been an officer for said agency (upper leadership) for 2 years
2) Shadowed a physician (300+ Hours)
3) American Heart Association CPR instructor (100+ hours)
4) American Cancer Society's Colleges against Cancer chapter on my campus
a) I have been on the Executive board for this club for 3 years
5) Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students
a) I have been an Executive Board for 2 years.
6) I am a research assistant in a lab studying host adaptation to HIV/SIV (100 + hours)
a) I have done 2 poster presentations at conferences
7) Due to my research my institution has made me an Undergraduate Research Ambassador

I am hoping the holistic approach to applications will help my chances.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
.you need to retake that MCAT its the ONLY thing med schools truly use, the gpa and all adds to it but if that MCAT goes up another 5-7 points you could get some love from DO schools.....may be worth a shot

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are for SGU and Ross. I am an American Citizen living in New York. I am considering applying to the 5 year and 4 Year programs.

I double majored in Biology and Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. My cGPA is a 3.3 and my sciGPA is 3.0. I just took the MCAT and scored 495. I self Identify as Male and Caucasian.

6) I am a research assistant in a lab studying host adaptation to HIV/SIV (100 + hours)
7) Due to my research my institution has made me an Undergraduate Research Ambassador

Chances are excellent as you have a pulse and can write a tuition check.

Chances are also excellent that you'll never be a doctor by this route. Do a search in these fora to find out why. Your stats in the risk category for failig out of med school and/or failing Boards. The Carib schools prey upon weak candidates such as yourself.

A little light reading:
Million $ Mistake

I graduated from Carib, ask me why you should stay away

The truth about Caribbean medical schools

Medical School at SGU

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't she not pass the USMLE though......hence why no match?

Don't miss the forest for the trees. That is...

(1) There are always "horror stories". Your goal in life is not to be one of those, no matter which path you take.

(2) Anecdotes don't mean anything for you, except as cautionary tales and what not to do/who not to be.

-Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Don't miss the forest for the trees. That is...

(1) There are always "horror stories". Your goal in life is not to be one of those, no matter which path you take.

(2) Anecdotes don't mean anything for you, except as cautionary tales and what not to do/who not to be.

-Skip

Preach. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Bottom line, Goro, myself, and others are obviously fear-mongering and Caribbean-bashing.

I would like to apologize to all reading this forum. From now on I will encourage all to go to the Caribbean and leave my experience with failed residency applicants to myself. After all, who am I to kill the dreams of someone who really, really wants to be a doctor?

Bottom line, Goro, myself, and others are obviously fear-mongering and Caribbean-bashing.

What? You (et al.) have a history of being unbalanced. Goro is, among several of the "frequent" and "experienced" posters here, among the least qualified to render an opinion on GME. No one is asking you not to offer an opinion; just based that opinion in fact and experience.

I would like to apologize to all reading this forum. From now on I will encourage all to go to the Caribbean and leave my experience with failed residency applicants to myself. After all, who am I to kill the dreams of someone who really, really wants to be a doctor?

What you need to do is be less emotionally involved in the decisions of complete strangers. Present the facts. Offer your experience. And, yes, don't kill the dreams of people who have exhausted all other pathways, including those who (like myself) have succeeded and are doing very well... and are the majority of matriculants who have choosen this pathway through reputable schools.

The "real" bottom line: Don't be a lumper when you should be a splitter (and vice versa).

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
If you applied when I applied, you'd easily get in. I'm helping my niece apply now, Ross told her to get her sgpa over 3 or her MCAT over 500 to avoid MERP. She thought her sgpa was good but they used different numbers.

I have the same question. What are my chances at SGU with a Biochem major (3.78 GPA, sGPA 3.75). Good extra curricular, research experiences and great LOR's. MCAT scores are horrible i.e. Below 491. Completely bombed the exam.

Failing to post a good score on the MCAT is a pretty strong predictor for failing to pass USMLE Step 1 and Step 2.

Try to get the MCAT score up. If you can't, and you can't gain acceptance to a US school, you should consider other careers.

I have the same question. What are my chances at SGU with a Biochem major (3.78 GPA, sGPA 3.75). Good extra curricular, research experiences and great LOR's. MCAT scores are horrible i.e. Below 491. Completely bombed the exam.
Why did you bomb it?
Sick? Didn't study?

Agree with post above, re-take it.

I mean, if you're not doing well on the MCAT now, how do you know you'll do better on the Steps?

the steps are also standardized exams, they're twice as long. among other things. the rest of your life in fact, will be about standardized exams if you choose medicine. Doesn't stop after med school either. They all get harder.

while the mcat can impact where you go for school, the steps (esp the step 1) have a habit of determining if and where you go for residency.

Figure out what happened with your MCAT.
Re-do it, see if you can apply to US MD or DO schools.
At least you get a second chance with the MCAT. You bomb the step 1, there's virtually no second chances.

If you browse other threads, they all carry this similar theme.

Also, why the Carribean?
What do you think your options will be if you choose Carribbean over US MD or DO when it comes to residency? Or in other words, how thoroughly have you thought this through?

With that MCAT score, you wont be able to get into US MD/DO schools. If you want to be a practicing doctor, look into podiatry schools or an MCAT retake. For Pod, your GPA will net you scholarships and your MCAT is fine. Stay away from the Carribean.

You need to prove you are better at standardized exams before betting $300k that you are good at standardized exams

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Everyone!

Do not go to Ross try SGU rather.