Chances for top-tier post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rp747414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how I would stack up at top tier post bacc programs like Bryn Mawr or Goucher. I'm in the NYC/Philly area..

I will be graduating from a Pennsylania state school with somewhere around a 3.6-3.7 GPA in exercise science with a minor in psychology. My GPA has been on an upward trend as I have earned 4.0s for the past 2 semesters
My SAT scores were 1190 without the writing section - definitely a weak point but Im hoping to take the GREs and kill them.
I have spent 50-100 hours volunteering at a hospital, and 75+ hours shadowing surgeons at the same hospital.
I also worked at a subacute rehab facility-which actually drove me away from therapy and contributed in my decision to pursue medicine.
I'm highly involved & on the exec board in 2 organizations at my school that give me a lot of exposure to volunteer work including homeless shelter volunteering every weekend.
Also, I'm planning on conducting research revolving around Biomechanics and hopefully working with a surgeon on research over the summer.

I'm nervous that graduating from a university not well known for its academics and my average SAT score will keep me back from attending a top program like Bryn Mawr...any input on what my chances are and how I can improve would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Your SATs are a little low so you might need to take the GREs and score well to prove you can handle standardized tests.

Your GPA however should be fine. Its been a few years since I went to Bryn Mawr, but the application process does seem to have gotten more competitive. You definitely have a shot however. Just make sure you keep up doing ECs and leadership activities to show a continued interest in medicine.