Chances from Cali with a 28P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhawks21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top public university. So my overall GPA is a 3.7, science is 3.8. Mcat : 7V 11P 10B.

ECs:
Solid research in 3 labs, President/founder of club, Honors researcher in 2 depts, have internships at consulting firms (will spin this to my advantage). Will probably get a publication by the end of next year. Do I have a good shot w/o a retake? I really don't care if it is even a DO school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any DO schools other than western would be fine with me. Especially NYCOM. I really would like to go there. I am assuming UCs are out of question.

THanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't mention whether you had any clinical experience and shadowing. If you have a decent amount of clinical experience and shadowing, I think you definitely have a decent shot at most DO schools.

I have shadowed about 3 diff doctors and do have clinical exp. is it worth it to mention the consulting stuff?

I have shadowed about 3 diff doctors and do have clinical exp. is it worth it to mention the consulting stuff?

I think you have a decent shot at most DO schools. You should mention the consulting stuff if you put in a good amount of hours in it. Non-clinical experience, leadership, and teaching experience is important. I think your consulting experience might fall under one of those categories.

hey guys so just want to give an update

I have tons of research experience (3 diff labs, in 2 of them i have run my own projects)
Shadowed a nuero.and ortho surgeon a whole summer
Tutor chemistry
CEO of a small and upcoming company
As I mentioned before, I have tons of consulting experience

and here is my main question: I received a 2 year offer to work at a top consulting firm ( think Bain, BCG, or Mckinsey)...if I apply with these stats and experience, how will med schools look at me? how will they look at my consulting background?

thanks

Nontraditional age, taking responsibility, and rich life experience generally result in greater maturity, which adcomms like to see. You'll also need a convincing explanation for "Why Medicine?". Be sure you have enough clinical experience and nonmedical community service, too, before you apply, along with maybe shadowing a primary care doc as well as what you have. Keep in mind that the MCAT usually expires in 2-3 years, depending on institution.