• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Chances/Number of Schools Help!!

Choboy

Mar 12, 2012
    So I applied last cycle to 8 schools (NYMC, Hershey, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Creighton, Albany, Loyola). I got interviews and wait listed at Hershey, Jefferson, and NYMC. At the time my cGPA was 3.6 and sGPA was 3.43. I also submitted my primary in late August and had my secondaries in by mid-October.

I am applying again this cycle in June and I have gotten my cGPA to 3.71 and sGPA to 3.57. My ECs are basically the same: 2 years of research, 1 year of ER volunteering, 2 club officer positions, shadowing for ~40 hours, etc.

I have taken the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 27R (8B, 9P, 10 R) and the second time I got a 34Q (12B, 11P, 11R). The first test was in May and the second one was mid-August, its the main reason I applied later.

I am definitely applying to more schools this cycle and earlier but I was wondering how many schools I should apply to. I was thinking of ~15-20 MD and about 5 DO schools. I was thinking if this would be too little. I have a list below and would appreciate any input.

I have Pennsylvania residency.

MD Schools:
    Drexel
    Temple
    Jefferson
    Hershey
    New York Medical College
    Creighton
    Jefferson
    University of Michigan
    University of Pittsburgh
    Georgetown
    George Washington
    Tulane
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    Commonwealth Medical College
    Rosalind Franklin
    Eastern Virginia Medical School

DO schools
    LECOM
    PCOM
    CCOM

Last edited:

SFU

Apr 18, 2013
      Since you got interviews and waitlists last cycle, with your improvements in GPA you stand a better chance, especially at the schools you already got waitlisted for - emphasis your improvment to them.

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Sounds like a good number. Make sure to apply as soon as possible!

So I applied last cycle to 8 schools (NYMC, Hershey, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Creighton, Albany, Loyola). I got interviews and wait listed at Hershey, Jefferson, and NYMC. At the time my cGPA was 3.6 and sGPA was 3.43. I also submitted my primary in late August and had my secondaries in by mid-October.

I am applying again this cycle in June and I have gotten my cGPA to 3.71 and sGPA to 3.57. My ECs are basically the same: 2 years of research, 1 year of ER volunteering, 2 club officer positions, shadowing for ~40 hours, etc.

I have taken the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 27R (8B, 9P, 10 R) and the second time I got a 34Q (12B, 11P, 11R). The first test was in May and the second one was mid-August, its the main reason I applied later.

I am definitely applying to more schools this cycle and earlier but I was wondering how many schools I should apply to. I was thinking of ~15-20 MD and about 5 DO schools. I was thinking if this would be too little.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.