1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chances of acceptance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Slanka, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Slanka

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone
    This is my first post on sdn. I just wanted some opinions. I just took my dat at got AA 20 TS 21 and PAT 21. My gpa is 3.54 and my sgpa is 3.2. I have graduated from college and have been working as a dental assistant. I have 2 W one summer when I couldn't afford to pay for the classes. I am going to apply next cycle. Do you guys think I'm on the right track/what are my chances of acceptance and should I do something more to improve my chances.
    Thank you ahead of time for your responses!

#1 Slanka, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Pearl E. White

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your stats are about average for accepted students. I think you'll be fine assuming everything else goes well (PS, shadowing, volunteering, interview, etc). Apply early and broadly to increase your chances.

3. ajj70

Non-Student
    I would get your application in today--assuming it is ready to go with your LOR's, etc. If your photo is you, you defiantly have a good shot at getting into Howard and Meharry, especially since your DAT is well above their average. Your sGPA is a little low but your DAT is ok and should be fine, especially with your experience as a dental assistant. I would apply to about 15 schools with those stats though.

4. Slanka

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi
    Thank you so much for responding. I am just worried about my sGPA. Do you think it is too low?

5. metsfan692

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ^^

6. pgex2t

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Like everyone else had said, if you apply early and broadly, you'll likely get in somewhere. Your sgpa isn't low enough that a postbacc or additional classes are required. If you want to increase your chances further for next cycle maybe try retaking the DAT if you feel confident you can do better? Otherwise, just have your personal statement prepared and transcripts ready to go once the next cycle begins.

7. Slanka

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you so much for the responses!

8. Slanka

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What do you guys mean by broadly? Just apply to a bunch of schools?

brigdawg521 likes this.
  9. Starr2o

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with what everyone said so far, I think you have a fair chance at most schools. To become even more competitive I would recommend applying to pre-dental summer enrichment programs. Many schools offer these programs like Baylor, UConn, UDM, etc... I participated in Baylor's last summer and this really made me look great during interviews! Definitely, try to find your top school and apply for their specific program. This really helped me get into Baylor as an oos!!
    Good Luck :luck:

#9 Starr2o, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  10. JLT223

JLT223 Dental Student
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Varied by location