Chances of Getting in Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperFeisty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but since about a year ago, I've been dead set on applying to podiatry school. The issue with me is my GPA. I went to Washington University in St. Louis and graduated with a BS in Biomedical Engineering. Unfortunately, I didn't know I had ADD my first two years (facepalm 2.2 GPA). However, after being diagnosed, my last 2 years GPA did a complete 180 where I averaged a 3.15 while taking all math/engineering courses. Since graduating in 09, I've been working, and have retaken Bio 1 and 2 (top of class in both), taken my MCAT (30P - verbal 9, physical 10, bio 11) and am planning to retake several courses I did poorly in as well as take several upper level bio courses in the fall. Also, I've shadowed at least 30 hours and plan on a lot more.

What else can I do to improve my chances at being accepted? I've been in contact with the schools, but from what I can tell, it seems like I will never be able to make my application strong enough.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

With an upward GPA trend and a 30 MCAT, ADCOM's at podiatry schools would have to be an idiot not to let you in. Personally, I'd accept you anyday over someone with a 4.0 GPA and a 21 MCAT.

Agree with above :)

EXCELLENT MCAT.
Upward trend is a big plus.

Apply and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a low sGPA and went to a relatively highly ranked undergrad as well and i will tell you that the adcoms definitly take rigor of undergrad institution into account.

i would say that you have a very strong chance.

Thanks, but after speaking with multiple admissions committees, I feel like I have at best a 25% chance of getting in. I am very intimidated by their average student having a 3.5 science GPA (Mine is nowhere near that). Realistically speaking, how many of you all apply to all 9 schools? And if so, what is the "going rate" for acceptances? The schools I'm talking to seem to have over 400 applicants for around 100 spots.

The average sGPA is NO WHERE near a 3.5 sGPA.

Look at these statistics that are on the AACPMAS page.

Average sGPA for those who matriculated is 3.1 :)

I only applied to one school for the January semester.
I think you should try to apply. You won't have a chance IF you don't give yourself one :) Good luck!

Thanks, but after speaking with multiple admissions committees, I feel like I have at best a 25% chance of getting in. I am very intimidated by their average student having a 3.5 science GPA (Mine is nowhere near that). Realistically speaking, how many of you all apply to all 9 schools? And if so, what is the "going rate" for acceptances? The schools I'm talking to seem to have over 400 applicants for around 100 spots.
umm... lets just say that my sGPA was WAY below that and i got interviews from 8 of the 9 schools even though i submitted relatively late in the cycle (feb). if you apply early in the next cycle (say between aug-dec), with your MCAT and your ugrad name you will be fine. just make sure you apply broadly!

i'm dead serious in saying that 1) undergrad strength and 2) high MCAT will almost always cancel out your low GPA, especially since you had an upward trend. also, i would make sure you address your ADD/grades issue somewhere in your app.

ps: i agree with the above poster that the avg sGPA is nowhere near 3.5. some schools might be around 3.3 but across the board it'll be around a 3.0-3.2. (and yes, my sGPA was below that).

Hey, does anyone know much about the decelerated spring program? Say if I were to apply for the Spring of 2012, I'd have to get my applications finished by November. I can't seem to find any information about statistics for their spring admittance.