Chances of getting in with a 270 OAT Score

sgray21

Reaction score
I got a 270AA on my OAT, a retake too. My GPA is 3.59. I have good recs and about 50 hours of shadowing (the pandemic stopped me on getting more). I have lots of leadership and volunteering experiences. I am applying to MCPHS, AZ, UIWRSO (dream school), Salus, Ketchum, NOVA, NECO, SUNY, and NSUOCO. Do I even stand a chance? Are there other schools I should apply to? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's an uphill battle but still doable. I would apply and hope for the best. If you don't get in, retake the OAT and apply again next year.

The question should be do you want to get in with a 270 OAT score.

2500 will apply
2000 will be offered admission
1900 will go to optometry school
1700 will take all three parts of the NEBO
1500 will pass all 3 test.

In that group who do you think were the unlucky ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the OAT. I know for a fact NOVA require atleast a 300AA/290 TS. I applied to UIWRSO with a 290 last cycle and was put on hold for new scores

Reactions: 1 user
The question should be do you want to get in with a 270 OAT score.

2500 will apply
2000 will be offered admission
1900 will go to optometry school
1700 will take all three parts of the NEBO
1500 will pass all 3 test.

In that group who do you think were the unlucky ones?
Why so discouraging?
OP has a 3.59 gpa which is decent and above average.
One test never shows your true ability, pretty sure with putting more time in, OP would get a better result!

Why so discouraging?
OP has a 3.59 gpa which is decent and above average.
One test never shows your true ability, pretty sure with putting more time in, OP would get a better result!
I'm not trying to discourage the OP. I'm trying to encourage them to retake the OAT and get a better score. There's worse things than not being accepted in this cycle. What's worse is being accepted and not being academically ready for school. The numbers don’t lie, 1900 start Optometry school, and 1500 pass all 3 parts of the NBEO before graduation. There's schools that will cut you loose before board exams, and the emotional, and financial hit can be devastating.

I'm not trying to discourage the OP. I'm trying to encourage them to retake the OAT and get a better score. There's worse things than not being accepted in this cycle. What's worse is being accepted and not being academically ready for school. The numbers don’t lie, 1900 start Optometry school, and 1500 pass all 3 parts of the NBEO before graduation. There's schools that will cut you loose before board exams, and the emotional, and financial hit can be devastating.

I think that is a fair assessment. The OAT score can definitely go up.

Granted, I didn't do fantastic across the board as well...