Chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACPTWannabe

Reaction score
Hello Everybody! I'm getting ready to apply for the third time. I applied first in the 2014-2015 cycle and then again this cycle, the 2017-2018 cycle. The reason for the gap is I struggled to find a job after moving home following graduation and then had to have ACL/Meniscus surgery that all set me back financially. I also have a glaring F on my transcript from where I was really struggling emotionally and failed to submit the final edits on my senior honors thesis. I am addressng this in my application by talking about this issue head on in my essay and how I overcame it and it changed my outlook on life. I also have a letter of support explaning my career in the Honors College from an advisor in the Honors College. I am working on several different things to improve my application this time. Here are my stats:
Undergrad: Appalachian State University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.43
Prereq GPA: 3.2-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am retaking A&P II and Physics I this fall so this number may change.
GRE Scores: V162, Q152, AW 4.5
Observation Hours: 1400 hours (1370 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquaics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic (not counted above because it was overseen by Athletic Trainers), and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
LOR: 3 PTs, 1 Professor
Applied: Duke, George Washington University, ECU, UNC-Chapel Hil, University of Maryland-Baltimore, Winston-Salem State University, Elon, Belmont University, and Methodist University.

Few questions:
1. I am concerned with how that F plays even with the supporting documents. How will this impact my application?

2. Should I be considering other schools that may match my stats better?

3. My overall science GPA is lower because a C- in organic chemistry. How much will that matter?

Thanks in advance, everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your only problem is your school list. Maybe consider some more “target” schools instead of “reach” schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everybody! I'm getting ready to apply for the third time. I applied first in the 2014-2015 cycle and then again this cycle, the 2017-2018 cycle. The reason for the gap is I struggled to find a job after moving home following graduation and then had to have ACL/Meniscus surgery that all set me back financially. I also have a glaring F on my transcript from where I was really struggling emotionally and failed to submit the final edits on my senior honors thesis. I am addressng this in my application by talking about this issue head on in my essay and how I overcame it and it changed my outlook on life. I also have a letter of support explaning my career in the Honors College from an advisor in the Honors College. I am working on several different things to improve my application this time. Here are my stats:
Prereq GPA: 3.2-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am retaking A&P II and Physics I this fall so this number may change.
Observation Hours: 1400 hours (1370 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquaics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic (not counted above because it was overseen by Athletic Trainers), and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
Applied: Duke, George Washington University, ECU, UNC-Chapel Hil, University of Maryland-Baltimore, Winston-Salem State University, Elon, Belmont University, and Methodist University.

Few questions:
1. I am concerned with how that F plays even with the supporting documents. How will this impact my application?

3. My overall science GPA is lower because a C- in organic chemistry. How much will that matter?

I agree with what the other poster stated, your stats are competitive and could get you into PT school. However, if those schools are the same and only ones you applied to over the last two years I would say thats the reason you didn't receive any acceptances. Like duke and Belmont are very competitive schools. Look at their average accepted GPA's on PTCAS and if you are not within that realm I would suggest looking at different schools. End of the day you will still be a PT, whats more important to you going to the school you desire or becoming a PT?

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with what the other poster stated, your stats are competitive and could get you into PT school. However, if those schools are the same and only ones you applied to over the last two years I would say thats the reason you didn't receive any acceptances. Like duke and Belmont are very competitive schools. Look at their average accepted GPA's on PTCAS and if you are not within that realm I would suggest looking at different schools. End of the day you will still be a PT, whats more important to you going to the school you desire or becoming a PT?
They aren't the same schools I've applied to the other two times. Some are, but not all. I have improved my GRE scores and for most schools my science GPA and pre-req GPA. Again, I ask what other schools should I be considering? Please, I am also debating on Wingate University. I have tried to include a mixture of reach schools and non-reach schools. I choose schools based on location. I can't afford to move too far from home.

Last edited:
They aren't the same schools I've applied to the other two times. Some are, but not all. I have improved my GRE scores and for most schools my science GPA and pre-req GPA. Again, I ask what other schools should I be considering? Please, I am also debating on Wingate University. I have tried to include a mixture of reach schools and non-reach schools. I choose schools based on location. I can't afford to move too far from home.

If it helps, I got into WSSU, Methodist, Wingate, and Campbell with a lower overall GPA than you. I also received an interview invite at GWU but declined. Make sure your essay and recommendations are great and I think you’ll be fine! But it doesn’t hurt to apply to more if you can. I applied to 10 just to be safe haha. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I tihnk GRE scores matter more than GPA. They allow for a direct comparison between applicants. I also think verbal is more important than Quant. Your 162 is going to be near the top of applicants anywhere you apply.

1. Not sure how the F will affect you but I tihnk you're taking the right approach.

3. The C in orgo won't affect you much. It's not required, so it should be viewed as an elective.

2. Schools. It looks like you're a North Carolina resident. If so, you probably only need to look at private schools out of state. It's not likely you'll get into another state's school over an NC school due to the number of slots available. Have you considered early decision? It would increase your chance of admission.

Good luck.

If it helps, I got into WSSU, Methodist, Wingate, and Campbell with a lower overall GPA than you. I also received an interview invite at GWU but declined. Make sure your essay and recommendations are great and I think you’ll be fine! But it doesn’t hurt to apply to more if you can. I applied to 10 just to be safe haha. Good luck!
CarolinaGirl44, I have ruled out, for now, tuitions $90,000 and above, because payback will be tough with minimal financial support from my folks for DPT portion of my education. Just curious what your thoughts on payback of some of the schools listed above the $90,000 tuition range? Will you be getting outside financial support, or will this all be on you? Thanks for the reply and not intentionally being negative.

ACPTWannaBe, private message me and I'll share some info I have. We have very similar stats. Also, checking to see if you realize that DPT tuition and costs can be covered 100% (within reason), so as long as the overall costs are within reason, you should be able to open up your possibilities nationwide.

I tihnk GRE scores matter more than GPA. They allow for a direct comparison between applicants. I also think verbal is more important than Quant. Your 162 is going to be near the top of applicants anywhere you apply.

1. Not sure how the F will affect you but I tihnk you're taking the right approach.

3. The C in orgo won't affect you much. It's not required, so it should be viewed as an elective.

2. Schools. It looks like you're a North Carolina resident. If so, you probably only need to look at private schools out of state. It's not likely you'll get into another state's school over an NC school due to the number of slots available. Have you considered early decision? It would increase your chance of admission.

Good luck.

Hey, I applied early enough to do ED but didn't. The only school I wanted to go to enough to do ED would be Duke. I wasn't comfortable though doing it because the costs of Duke and the likelihood that even ED I would not get in.
The real problem with orgo is that it is a drag to my science GPA.

CarolinaGirl44, I have ruled out, for now, tuitions $90,000 and above, because payback will be tough with minimal financial support from my folks for DPT portion of my education. Just curious what your thoughts on payback of some of the schools listed above the $90,000 tuition range? Will you be getting outside financial support, or will this all be on you? Thanks for the reply and not intentionally being negative.

ACPTWannaBe, private message me and I'll share some info I have. We have very similar stats. Also, checking to see if you realize that DPT tuition and costs can be covered 100% (within reason), so as long as the overall costs are within reason, you should be able to open up your possibilities nationwide.

Your concerns are extremely valid! Which is why I ultimately ending up picking WSSU (a public school) over the private schools I was accepted to. Cost is a significant factor but I knew my chances of getting into public schools were slim with my low GPA.

I don't have much financial backing from my parents either so I'll be relying on loans. But NC has a forgivable loan program that will give you $14,000 a year in return for working in NC after graduation!

Your concerns are extremely valid! Which is why I ultimately ending up picking WSSU (a public school) over the private schools I was accepted to. Cost is a significant factor but I knew my chances of getting into public schools were slim with my low GPA.

I don't have much financial backing from my parents either so I'll be relying on loans. But NC has a forgivable loan program that will give you $14,000 a year in return for working in NC after graduation!
Did you already have a 3-credit upper level biology before applying (required by WSSU)?

I would give you a list but I do not know what your requirements are and I am unaware of the stats of the schools in your area. This is research that can be done on PTCAS just have to put time into it. I think out of state could be a good option since the schools I applied to were mostly out-of-state since out of state tuition at most schools is equal to the instate tuition of 90k at California state schools. If cost of going to an out of state school or private school is concerning then contact them see if they have a GA position, my school did, and if will grant you instate tuition or they may grant you a stipend towards your costs. Do not worry about the C I was a Bio major in undergrad and had a few more than 1 C in my course work, so far it hasnt effected my performance in PT school.

I would give you a list but I do not know what your requirements are and I am unaware of the stats of the schools in your area. This is research that can be done on PTCAS just have to put time into it. I think out of state could be a good option since the schools I applied to were mostly out-of-state since out of state tuition at most schools is equal to the instate tuition of 90k at California state schools. If cost of going to an out of state school or private school is concerning then contact them see if they have a GA position, my school did, and if will grant you instate tuition or they may grant you a stipend towards your costs. Do not worry about the C I was a Bio major in undergrad and had a few more than 1 C in my course work, so far it hasnt effected my performance in PT school.

I have done plenty of research. I'm from NC so the schools I have applied to are in my area. I actually added UNC this time. I have not previously applied there. I am also adding Wingate. The issue with out of state schools is the ones that have lower GRE and GPA averages also have extremely low out of state acceptance rates.

Yea I mean there isn't much else I can say to help if you only want to look at in-state just because of acceptance rates which you also need to take into account the total # of out of state people applying for those stats to be more relevant, your stats are plenty good enough to get into most any school.

Few questions:

Hello! Firly new here and (first time to comment) We kinda have the same stats! I’m wondering how’s the application going? I am so worried about my chem 2, I got a D the first time I took, currently retaking and not doing any better so i had to withdraw. Will retake it spring and will definitely try m bestest again.

Hello! Firly new here and (first time to comment) We kinda have the same stats! I’m wondering how’s the application going? I am so worried about my chem 2, I got a D the first time I took, currently retaking and not doing any better so i had to withdraw. Will retake it spring and will definitely try m bestest again.
I actually got pulled off a wait list from last cycle at Winston-Salem State University starting in January based on my original stats not by new scores and GPA with retakes. As far as this cycle goes, I withdraw over half my applications for this cycle since I would not have heard back from them prior to the start date at WSSU. The only schools I didn't withdraw my applications from Duke, Methodist University, George Washington, and University of Maryland-Baltimore. I have yet to hear back anything from any of them. Don't get discouraged and just keep working!!!

I actually got pulled off a wait list from last cycle at Winston-Salem State University starting in January based on my original stats not by new scores and GPA with retakes. As far as this cycle goes, I withdraw over half my applications for this cycle since I would not have heard back from them prior to the start date at WSSU. The only schools I didn't withdraw my applications from Duke, Methodist University, George Washington, and University of Maryland-Baltimore. I have yet to hear back anything from any of them. Don't get discouraged and just keep working!!!

That’s so good to hear!! God bless on your application!! I am praying for you to get in!!! Im in a range of D atm in chem 2 and I am so torn between staying in class or should I withdraw and retake? Any advice? Im so confused. I am following your stats in application. Keep us posted of how everything goes! Thanks!

I have also received interview invites for Methodist University and The George Washington University based on the improvements to my application.

Hey! Are you already going to WSSU or are you starting in January like me?