Chances of Getting Into SGU, Ross, or AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trueblue824

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in undergrad currently, and I'm going to apply after I graduate in 2014 to hopefully get admitted for the fall of 2015. I'm applying to some Caribbean schools - Ross University, American University of the Caribbean, and St. George's University. Can you tell me my chances of getting into those schools?

Major: Psychology (B.A.)
Minors: Biology and Chemistry
GPA: 3.365
Science GPA: 3.139
MCAT: probably a "26-27" based on the results of my practice exams
Extracurricular Activities:
- Biology Workshop Leader
- Vice President of my fraternity
- Relay for Life Team Captain
Volunteer Activities:
- 150 hours volunteering as a bedside buddy at a children's hospital
Shadowing:
- 40 hours shadowing a plastic surgeon
- 60 hours shadowing a pediatrician
Research:
- 1 year serving as an RA for an HIV prevention study for gay/bisexual men
- 1 year serving as an RA for project examining social support services for women undergoing treatment for breast cancer
Recommendation Letters:
- Committee Letter
- Letter from my PI
- Letter from my child psych professor
- Letter from my evolutionary bio professor

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior in undergrad currently, and I'm going to apply after I graduate in 2014 to hopefully get admitted for the fall of 2015. I'm applying to some Caribbean schools - Ross University, American University of the Caribbean, and St. George's University. Can you tell me my chances of getting into those schools?

Major: Psychology (B.A.)
Minors: Biology and Chemistry
GPA: 3.365
Science GPA: 3.139
MCAT: probably a "26-27" based on the results of my practice exams
Extracurricular Activities:
- Biology Workshop Leader
- Vice President of my fraternity
- Relay for Life Team Captain
Volunteer Activities:
- 150 hours volunteering as a bedside buddy at a children's hospital
Shadowing:
- 40 hours shadowing a plastic surgeon
- 60 hours shadowing a pediatrician
Research:
- 1 year serving as an RA for an HIV prevention study for gay/bisexual men
- 1 year serving as an RA for project examining social support services for women undergoing treatment for breast cancer
Recommendation Letters:
- Committee Letter
- Letter from my PI
- Letter from my child psych professor
- Letter from my evolutionary bio professor

You probably could get into one of those schools but, before you apply, retake your MCAT and improve your score a little bit, and try to get into an SMP or do more science courses to strengthen your science GPA. Then try at least twice for US schools, both MD and DO. Failing all of that, apply to SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba. As far as Caribbean schools are concerned, those four offer good-quality education, but graduates from US schools are more likely to match into their first choice of specialty.

You probably could get into one of those schools but, before you apply, retake your MCAT and improve your score a little bit, and try to get into an SMP or do more science courses to strengthen your science GPA. Then try at least twice for US schools, both MD and DO. Failing all of that, apply to SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba. As far as Caribbean schools are concerned, those four offer good-quality education, but graduates from US schools are more likely to match into their first choice of specialty.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Go to a D.O. school, you could get in fine with those stats. Much much much much better than going to the islands.