Chances of getting into SUNY, SCO, and/or NECO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndJ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Here are my OAT Scores
AA: 310
TS: 280
QR: 370
Physics: 250
Gen Chem: 280
Org Chem: 340
Bio: 290
RC: 310

Total GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 3.98

Safe to say I didn't do as well as I hoped for and did on my practice OATs. Considering my GPA, will I most likely get an interview from schools? I've been in leadership positions such as a head coach of 90+ athletes. I shadowed 30 hours amongst three different optometrists, and have been in many extracurricular activities such as the Biochemistry club, the Gymnastics team for my school, and club swim team. I expressed my desire of becoming an optometrist throughout my applications but I'm a bit concerned with my OAT scores in a few areas. I plan on working at an eye clinic in a month and just submitted my OptomCAS application. I'd like to receive more input on how qualified/competitive I am, and what I need to do to look more appealing. (other than taking the OAT again if needed, which I have to wait until November due to the 90 day waiting period).

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA will get you in everywhere.

Not exactly. If you have a 3.98 GPA from majority community school classes it won't be as competitive. Also a lot of schools will ask you to retake your OAT if you have below a 300.
There's almost a correlation in doing well on your OAT and boards. Schools like SCO that require you to pass your boards will probably put more emphasis on your OAT than your GPA (at least that was the case for me).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get your scores above a 300. You'll be a really strong candidate! Best of luck!

I happened to get interviews from all three schools!

I happened to get interviews from all three schools!
Congrats in your interviews! just curious did you get invitations by mail or email?
good luck on your interviews!

Congrats in your interviews! just curious did you get invitations by mail or email?
good luck on your interviews!
By email! And thank you, I already had my interviews at SUNY and SCO. I think they went well. I plan on retaking the OAT to be more competitive for scholarships :D

By email! And thank you, I already had my interviews at SUNY and SCO. I think they went well. I plan on retaking the OAT to be more competitive for scholarships :D

Wishing you the best of luck! I have my SUNY interview in a week and I was wondering what your experience was ? Any advice ? Anything is appreciated :)