Chances of Hem-onc match?

Started by MonkD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MonkD

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I am currently in the process of applying this year for Hem-onc
There is a few concerning thing for match though, I am wondering if anyone can shed light on it.

I am an FMG graduated residency from a small university program in 2011.
Went for hospitalist in small community hospital for visa support. Now have greencard after waiver.
During the 4 years, I earned a MPH degree from UW and currently doing MBA.
I have 2 first-author paper, 6 other research papers, 4 case reports published, about 10 posters in various meetings.
I will have letters from Johns Hopkins(did a rotation there) , UW, My previous residency Hemonc director(And I know my chances will be great here but our program was kind of not what I wanted)

What do you think my chances of matching into a good program?
My biggest concern is years after residency. I am currently 4 years out due to visa, is this really going to slow me down?

My hope is UW since I live in the area. But that is such a good program. I don't have high hopes.
My actual focus is on clinical hemonc so I don't die for top tier programs. Realistically, Karmanos(Henry ford/Wayne state) in Detroit would be a good place for me.
 
Last edited:
You have strong background. If you are dedicated to work for it, You can get into it. Maybe not UW, but so many good programs anywhere else.