Chances of matching into Rad onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalki328

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am an american medical student currently doing a full year of oncology research between my MS3 and MS4 years.
I have a 2 publications (none in radiation oncology). I am currently first authoring a review paper while doing my full year of research.
I am also doing part-time Rad Onc research

Heres my stats:
Step1: 237
Step2: 252

Medicine: pass
Surgery: high pass
Anesthesiology: high pass
Fam med: honors
Neuro: honors
Psych: honors
Ob Gyn: high pass
Peds: high pass

I know radiation oncology has gotten competitive over the last few years. I wanted some feedback regarding my chances of matching with my stats, particularly on the east coast. My school also has a home program.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that you have better stats than me, and 2 PDs I've talked to have said they're confident I'll match primarily based on my research record. May depend on if your cancer research between MS3 and MS4 is Rad Onc focused or not.

Hey all,

I am an american medical student currently doing a full year of oncology research between my MS3 and MS4 years.
I have a 2 publications (none in radiation oncology). I am currently first authoring a review paper while doing my full year of research.
I am also doing part-time Rad Onc research

Heres my stats:
Step1: 237
Step2: 252

Medicine: pass
Surgery: high pass
Anesthesiology: high pass
Fam med: honors
Neuro: honors
Psych: honors
Ob Gyn: high pass
Peds: high pass

I know radiation oncology has gotten competitive over the last few years. I wanted some feedback regarding my chances of matching with my stats, particularly on the east coast. My school also has a home program.

Thanks a lot!

Of course you will match. If you apply to all of the programs, you will likely get >30 interview offers, you'll go on 15ish, then you'll match somewhere in your top 5. (Assuming you aren't socially awkward and interview well.)

Seriously. You'd match without a year out for research.