Chances of matching with low board scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroHopeful1

Reaction score
I could use some advice on deciding if I need to dual apply Neuro and FM. DO senior applying this year.

I didn't do that great on Level 1 (43x) and didn't take Step 1. Passed everything on my first try, no board failures, remediation, gaps or repeats.
Took Level 2 and Step 2 this past week. My COMSAEs have me around a 550-580 and my UWSA/NBMEs are between 230-260.
Mix of P/HP for my clerkships. Honored Neuro, FM and IM.
Some research but no pubs or presentations.
Decent letters from 2 Neuro, 1 FM and 1 IM but no PD letter since I wasn't able to land an away rotation or audition.
Have good commitment to neuro through my ECs through 2nd and 3rd year.
No red flags besides my level 1 score.

Can I match? Should I apply to a backup?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Things have changed a bit since I went through but I'd think a step 2 CK of 230, honors IM and neuro, a smidgeon of research to talk about, and no red flags for a DO that applies widely should be a guaranteed match to a mid tier university program somewhere. There is more attention to step 2CK now that step 1 has been neutered. You should apply widely to be safe but I'd think you'll match no problem. Everyone just wants to make sure it looks like you'll pass the ABPN board at the end of the day and your grades along with practice test scores suggest that won't be an issue. Forget about 'backups' and just plan on being a neurologist.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine. No need for back up. Focus all your energy on matching into a neuro program. You should be able to match a mid to low tier program. Once you're in a neuro program possibilities are endless no matter where you end up.

This was me last year:

I was in much worse shape than you currently are, and I matched.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update:
Level 2 - 51x (not sure what happened)
Step 2 - 24x
8 IIs so far, all academic programs

Update:
Level 2 - 51x (not sure what happened)
Step 2 - 24x
8 IIs so far, all academic programs
What do you think made the difference in getting interviews? Do you think it was taking step 2 this time around?

I think Step 2 helped. The day after I sent updates with my S2 score I received 3 more IIs although that may be a coincidence. I received 2 more interviews this week so I'm finally in the realm of possibly matching.
What do you think made the difference in getting interviews? Do you think it was taking step 2 this time around?

I think Step 2 helped. The day after I sent updates with my S2 score I received 3 more IIs although that may be a coincidence. I received 2 more interviews this week so I'm finally in the realm of possibly matching.
Congrats! Wishing you the best this application cycle.

How many programs did you apply to? I am in a similar situation with less interviews and only one academic.

How do you know this? I haven’t seen any neuro specific data that suggests this

I don't know if that's true either. There's only 3 signals for neuro unlike 30 for ortho

How many programs did you apply to? I am in a similar situation with less interviews and only one academic.
About 100. The signaling definitely helped. I signaled 3 low/mid tier academic programs and got interviews at 2 of them. It really seems like they first look through the signals since both of those IIs were days after ERAS submission.

I haven't gotten any new IIs for 2 weeks now :(.I know 10 IIs gives you a good chance of matching but there's always like one or two people with 10+ ranks that fail to match which is still making me anxious.

I imagine its the new interview invites must = number of interview slots that's decreasing the amount of IIs this year. Hopefully it means more will trickle in the next few weeks.

About 100. The signaling definitely helped. I signaled 3 low/mid tier academic programs and got interviews at 2 of them. It really seems like they first look through the signals since both of those IIs were days after ERAS submission.

I haven't gotten any new IIs for 2 weeks now :(.I know 10 IIs gives you a good chance of matching but there's always like one or two people with 10+ ranks that fail to match which is still making me anxious.

I imagine its the new interview invites must = number of interview slots that's decreasing the amount of IIs this year. Hopefully it means more will trickle in the next few weeks.
No USMD that matched last year fell past their 9th rank. So if you are USMD you’re probably golden

USDO
There was one person that failed to match with 10 and another that didn't match with 16+ in 2020/2018 :eek:

How do you know this? I haven’t seen any neuro specific data that suggests this
N=1 since it’s just my program but we’ve reduced the number of interviews we hand out by 30% from 108 to 72, and we did this by basically selecting our own med students and those who signalled us. And then my friend at another respectable, better program told it’s the same at her institution too.

I would really like to know what the average DO has in terms of interviews. With having so little myself, I have been concerned if I have some red flag I am not aware. Like did one of my letters said something? I don't know with 10 it really does give you almost a guaranteed shot at matching, so please do not try to stress too much! I too am hopeful that maybe more will head our way as people cancel. Good luck!

Just wanted to post a final update. Successfully matched to my #5, large west coast city that I signaled.
Ended the cycle with 12 total interviews (3 from signaling).

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 2 users